• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glare Monsters! (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People cry "nonsense" to Dennis's posts, and yet participate in the fantastical "Swaro designed glare into the $3000 NL's to protect your eyes from sunlight" delusion-fest over in the Swaro forum.

We're all rank amateurs here, AFAIK. Or let me know if I missed the peer-reviewed information here that was published in professional journals of optical engineering......I know anything I write is worth exactly what you paid for it....$5 and my opinion will buy you a cup of coffee :D
Dr. Merlitz is a little more than a rank amateur, and he says the NL has glare. For some reason I believe him since I saw the same glare.

Last edited:
People cry "nonsense" to Dennis's posts, and yet participate in the fantastical "Swaro designed glare into the $3000 NL's to protect your eyes from sunlight" delusion-fest over in the Swaro
Scott, I remember somebody writing that silly idea, some months or years back. Weird that stuck in your mind. Even weirder, if consistent, you would pull that up and try to turn it into some sort of fact based on zero research.

Just looked up on Allbinos a pair of binoculars I use often which is Opticron Oregon 15x70, the specifications listed on allbinos has some very strange entries which makes me wonder is it typos' or something else?

When compared to Opticron's website several differences are apparent. For instance close focus distance on allbinos is 0 meters, Opticron 20 which what I get, Allbinos eye relief 8.5mm Opticron 18mm which is about what I have experienced, weight also differs and the scales I have it's closer to Opticron's? Price 900 but what currency as I paid 3 years ago 165 GBP. Other parameters also are different from the manufacturers?

I use them mostly for astronomy and observing our local Buzzards when they fly overhead and have found the glare can be quite annoying. I did look up the other pair I have Helios Nitrosport 8x42 but none of the Nitrosport range is listed on there despite being available for a while now and in 8x32, 10x32,8x42 and 10x42. My Nitrosport handles glare very well and I've never had the glare problems I have with the Opticron's.

Just looked up on Allbinos a pair of binoculars I use often which is Opticron Oregon 15x70, the specifications listed on allbinos has some very strange entries which makes me wonder is it typos' or something else?

When compared to Opticron's website several differences are apparent. For instance close focus distance on allbinos is 0 meters, Opticron 20 which what I get, Allbinos eye relief 8.5mm Opticron 18mm which is about what I have experienced, weight also differs and the scales I have it's closer to Opticron's? Price 900 but what currency as I paid 3 years ago 165 GBP. Other parameters also are different from the manufacturers?

I use them mostly for astronomy and observing our local Buzzards when they fly overhead and have found the glare can be quite annoying. I did look up the other pair I have Helios Nitrosport 8x42 but none of the Nitrosport range is listed on there despite being available for a while now and in 8x32, 10x32,8x42 and 10x42. My Nitrosport handles glare very well and I've never had the glare problems I have with the Opticron's.
I have never heard of a Helios Nitrosport 8x42, but the review looks quite good on it. I will put it on the glare resistant list.

I have never heard of a Helios Nitrosport 8x42, but the review looks quite good on it. I will put it on the glare resistant list.

That's the only review I've come across and it seems fair and accurate, Helios is the brand name used by Kowa Optical company apparently?

Overall I have found them as good if not better than more expensive brands, but outside of the UK not very well known.

That's the only review I've come across and it seems fair and accurate, Helios is the brand name used by Kowa Optical company apparently?

Overall I have found them as good if not better than more expensive brands, but outside of the UK not very well known.
Opticron is not big in the US either. That is more a UK brand.

Helios Nitrosport 8x42 Binoculars Review
???
Whatever one thinks of BBR reviews (if one does at all) the word "glare" doesn't even occur in this one, confirming that this thread and your entire approach to the subject are complete rubbish. (Hurry, you only have two hours left to delete that...) I regret having previously tried to take it seriously, and will try not to repeat the mistake.

???
Whatever one thinks of BBR reviews (if one does at all) the word "glare" doesn't even occur in this one, confirming that this thread and your entire approach to the subject are complete rubbish. (Hurry, you only have two hours left to delete that...) I regret having previously tried to take it seriously, and will try not to repeat the mistake.
I put the Helios on the glare resistant list because puff the magic dragon said they were. BBR reviews are quite good generally IMO. The author has posted on Bird Forum several times, and he is quite knowledgeable about binoculars.

I use two pairs of binoculars both totally different, the Helios Nitrosport 8x42 is easily the better of the two in several areas, build quality, optical quality and with glare I have not noticed a problem. I have used these everyday/night since the beginning of June in a wide variety of conditions all without glare being a problem or even noticeable most of the time .

I wish I could say the same for the Opticron Oregon 15x70 as glare is certainly a problem when used in certain lighting conditions, they will certainly be replaced before very long.

I read an interesting review on the Opticron Oregon 15x70 in which the reviewer stated that the internal baffling reduced the aperture down from 70mm to 62mm and the prism's slightly undersize, an interesting review is below including how the reviewer came to their conclusions which has subsequently been reported and confirmed on several other forums/social media outlets. After using them for around 4 years I think it's time for an upgrade. When I look at a vertical object with the Opticron's there is a distinct distortion at the edges, glare is certainly an annoyance and what appears to be fungus is appearing on the inside of one of the lenses. I do use them for variable star work most clear nights so I guess the night time moisture is the cause.

As with everything personal opinion and choice is very subjective, what suits one person won't suit another, only when the same fault/observation is reported by more than one person does it carry any weight. I prefer hands on experience as quite often commercial reviews weather it's on a website or in a magazine has to bow down to commercial/advertising pressures as who wants to annoy their sponsors/advertisers!

The Helios Nitrosport range doesn't seem to be that widely known which is a pity as for the price they outperform more expensive brands, Helios seems to have upped their game from the heavyweight, optically dubious, random build quality binoculars of Russian decent they sold 30-40 years ago.

I missed their username in the original post at first and thought you were saying you got high and puff the magic dragon appeared to you and told you to put the Helios on your list.
Plausible enough. And maybe Ermintrude said they were a Cowa!

Oh dear .......

A bit unkind saying another tedious thread from BF!! But they can be an odd lot on there.

Manufacturing fault or something else, I wonder what their quality sampling is like and is it widespread in the range.

At this point in the thread, let's summarize what to look for in a binocular to avoid glare and list some of the binoculars members have found to be glare resistant and glare prone. We will add to this list as more glare resistant and glare prone binoculars are noted. Remember, even though a binocular is on the Glare Resistant or Glare Prone list does not mean it will be 100% glare resistant or glare prone for you. The Allbinos website can also be helpful in determining if a binocular handles glare well because they test for I/R (Internal Reflection) and a higher number means less reflections, which will probably mean the binocular will have less glare than one with a lower number.

Binoculars rankings - AllBinos.com

The best binocular tests on the net. The comprehensive database of binoculars with their parameters and users opinions. Interesting articles and comparisons.
www.allbinos.com

www.allbinos.com

Glare Resistant Binoculars

1) Most Zeiss FL's, especially the 8x56 and 10x56
2) Most Swarovski SLC's, especially the 8x56 and 10x56
3) Most 8x56's (Big EP)
4) Most Leica's (Well Baffled)
5) Most Zeiss SF's 42 mm, especially the 10x42 (Some people with shallow eye sockets will see reflections beyond the eyepiece diaphragm) (SF 32 mm are NOT as glare resistant)
6) Fujinon HC 8x42
7) Opticron Aurora 8x42
8) Most EDG's especially the 7x42
9) Canon 10x42 IS-L
10) Swarovski Habicht 7x42
11) Meopta Meostar 7x42 SLC
12) Nikon EII 8x30
13) Swarovski Habicht 10x40
14) Leica Noctivid's
15) Most Zeiss Conquest HD's, especially the 8x56 and 10x56
16) Leica Trinovid HD 8x32
17) Steiner HX 8x42.
18) Helios Nitrosport 8x42

Glare Prone Binoculars

1) Nikon M7 8x30
2) Swarovski Habicht 8x30
3) Hawk Frontier EDX 8x32
4) Swarovski EL 8x32
5) Kowa 8x25 SVII
6) Swarovski NL's
7) Zeiss 10x42 HT
8) Nikon HG 8x30
9) Opticron Oregon 15x70

Important things that control glare in Binoculars

1) Good Baffling (Leicas are known to be well baffled and blackened inside)
2) WA can be worse than narrower FOV binoculars because of the binocular design
3) Large EP aids glare control because it never reaches your eyes
4) Binocular design failures, especially reflective surfaces in the light path

This glare list is inaccurate and useless, and ought to be ignored.

There is no mention of the situation producing glare, what type of glare, whether the glare is a major or minor problem, how it compares side by side with similar instruments. Additions and omissions appear to be at the whim of Dennis.

We do not even know if the binocular is set up correctly to the best position for the user and their haptics.

For example, Dennis himself has stated if he got his eye position exactly right the NL's did not give him glare.

Try the binoculars yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back