• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Godwit - Black or Bar? (1 Viewer)

Bar - notice the pale fringes to the feathers on the upperparts

Yes, but the mantle feathers are plain with pale indistinct edges - a Bar-t-Godwit should show dark centred feathers. Also the structure of the bird looks better for Black-t-Godwit. Compared to the Redshanks it seems to have longer legs than a Bar-t would and the deeper water is more in fitting with Black-t Godwit. I think the upturned bill is due to the angle that the photo was taken from.

I agree with Simon, it's a Black Tailed Godwit. Note also the very strong white wing bar you can see as a line below the coverts.

Glad its not an open and shut case anyway. My feel from watching it in the field was black tailed. I'll dig out another photo.

I agree with Black-tailed. I expect that the apparently slightly upturned bill is an effect of the angle, and the pale edges to the wing coverts etc are perhaps retained juvenile feathers (I'm guessing there!)

the tail looks like black
You can't see the tail in this shot - do you have others that show the tail?

For me it is ;)
I'd have to admit that when I first opened the link the "upturned bill" immediately made me think of Bar-tailed.
...but after I looked at the rest of the bird it seemed obvious that it was a Black-tailed - so I agree with you, case closed!;)

Black-tailed coz this species usually flocks with Common Redshanks. Bar-tailed usually found in the company of whimbrels. That's my observations of the two species in Singapore.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back