• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Godwit.Essex UK (1 Viewer)

Curlew2

Hi All,
Really struggling on identifying whether a Godwit is Black-tailed or Bar-tailed unless it is flying away from me. I suspect that this bird photographed at Fingerinhoe Wick last Monday is Bar-tailed. Is there enough detail in the photos to be able to tell definitively and, if so, how?
Thanks in advance.
David

Attachments

• 013017 Fingerinhoe Wick.JPG
    013017 Fingerinhoe Wick.JPG
    728.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 013017 Fingerinhoe Wick (2).JPG
    013017 Fingerinhoe Wick (2).JPG
    795.5 KB · Views: 63

Curlew2

Thanks Andy for the speedy reply and explanation. I guess it will come as I gain more experince.

I had this one taken in March last year at Heybridge Basin as a Bar-tailed but am now questioning it as the bill also looks slightly upturned. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 032016 Heybridge Basin (4).JPG
    032016 Heybridge Basin (4).JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 75

THE_FERN

In the first two photos you can see the tail barring. Another pointer for winter birds is the scaly neck feathering where black-tailed appears uniformly grey.

Parryman1

Old age and failing memory means I can never remember whose got the short bill and whose got the long legs so I try and link clues to the name.

A short bill and legs bars the bar-tailed from feeding in deep water.

Visually the bar tailed's legs from underside of body to knee is a lot shorter than from knee to the foot where as in the black tailed it is more equal

Hope this helps

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
Old age and failing memory means I can never remember whose got the short bill and whose got the long legs so I try and link clues to the name.

A short bill and legs bars the bar-tailed from feeding in deep water.

Visually the bar tailed's legs from underside of body to knee is a lot shorter than from knee to the foot where as in the black tailed it is more equal

Hope this helps

And a shorter bill and shorter bill matches the shorter name, bar being shorter than black!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread