• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going to Mid Wales early October (1 Viewer)

hampers

Hampers
I'm off to Mid Wales, Tregaron, in early October. Can anyone give some pointers of good places to go. Planning to go to Gigrin one day, open to any other suggestions in the area.

Thanks.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Dinas RSPB is a great place to visit, Dippers along the river, Red Grouse on the hilltops and a very scenic drive aswell.
Elan Valley is another great place with reservoir after reservoir. These could hold Goosander and Goldeneye with Hen Harriers patrolling the grasslands.
The coast is only an hour away where small colonies of Choughs are present, Llangranog beach is a favoured spot for me.
Ynis-hir is a lovely reserve to the west of Tregaron, White-fronted Geese, numerous Waders, all 3 Woodpeckers.
Last but not least is Cors Caron Bog right next to Tregaron. Whooper Swans winter here, you might just be in time.

Hope this helps
Matt

Hi Phil.
I highly recommend if you are going to Gigrin to make a day of it by driving through the Elan Valley.From Aberystwyth take the A4120 to Devils Bridge and then the B4574 to Cwmystwyth.There is then a mountain road that will take you all the way to Rhayader via the Elan Valley Lakes.The views up there are spectacular,especially in Autumn.The birdlife you can expect to see are as above along with passage Ring Ouzel,Fieldfare and Redwing on the Hawthorns.
Hope you have a good trip!

Hi Phil.
I highly recommend if you are going to Gigrin to make a day of it by driving through the Elan Valley.From Aberystwyth take the A4120 to Devils Bridge and then the B4574 to Cwmystwyth.There is then a mountain road that will take you all the way to Rhayader via the Elan Valley Lakes.The views up there are spectacular,especially in Autumn.The birdlife you can expect to see are as above along with passage Ring Ouzel,Fieldfare and Redwing on the Hawthorns.
Hope you have a good trip!

Mike
Thanks, thats Saturday then, hope she who must be enjoys the journey to Gigrin!

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back