• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Oriole Lizard, Cornwall (2 Viewers)

trailplanner

United Kingdom
Just back from walking the England Coast Path (also Cornwall Coast and South West Coast Path) from Teignmouth to St Ives. Thrilled to see a Golden Oriole at close quarters on the Lizard Peninsula after spending an hour watching Choughs play on the cliffs - such comical flyers. Travelling as a backpacker, meaning lightweight, I carried an Opticron Explorer 8x32 ED-R Monocular, which worked well. Notable birds on the walk - Kestrel, Buzzards, Stonechats/Chiffchaff (the background song of the coast), White Throat, Wheatear, Fulmar, Black-Backed Gulls and the delight of hearing Great Northern Divers calling and coo'ing at 6AM on lonely stretches of south Devon coast, in the still morning air. First Cuckoo at Zennor.

I have now purchased a Nikon Monarch ED82 Fieldscope, after years of prevarication, which was waiting for me when I got home. With my eyes, the performance is astonishing with the MEP 20-60 eyepiece. Sitting on top of a Gitzo 2452 with a GHF2W Fluid Head I think I have made a good choice, without needing to take out a mortgage for the top-end scopes. Now to go back and spend more time along the coast and estuaries.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back