• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Orioles (1 Viewer)

mickbe74

Hi All,i was at Lakenheath over the weekend and was told by the staff they're not sure if there is a pair of Golden Orioles there,one confirmed male and possibly a sub adult,i believe they didn't breed last year,if there's is only one male there what are the chances of them breeding there again?It could easily not make it back next year,have the numbers there ever been so low? What are the chances of them recolonising if they died out there? And are there any other places they breed in the UK? I realise this might be sensitive info so a yes or no would do for this question.
Thanks for any replies
Mick

There are no other publicised breeding sites for Golden Oriole

I wonder where else they breed - I have often hoped to hear fluty call in the New Forest near me but to no avail.

I am sure there must be other nests but rightly they are kept quiet, so therefore they must be in Hampshire ;-)

My favourite British Bird, a great shame if they disappeared as a breeding species. Do you remember those trips - RB Shrike at Santon Downham, Stone Curlew at Weeting and Golden Oriole down that ridiculous track past the world matchstick warehouse ;-) I vaguely remember seeing Tree Sparrow once there too (and a Hawfinch)

I wonder where else they breed - I have often hoped to hear fluty call in the New Forest near me but to no avail.

I am sure there must be other nests but rightly they are kept quiet, so therefore they must be in Hampshire ;-)

My favourite British Bird, a great shame if they disappeared as a breeding species. Do you remember those trips - RB Shrike at Santon Downham, Stone Curlew at Weeting and Golden Oriole down that ridiculous track past the world matchstick warehouse ;-) I vaguely remember seeing Tree Sparrow once there too (and a Hawfinch)

I remember the Bryant may site,stand on the bridge & watch the orioles either side of the bridge,the trees were felled several years ago I believe.Hence the loss at that site of the orioles.

Steve.B :)

I think we might be talking at crossed purposes. The bridge place was at Fordham I think and there were poplars which I guess could be matchsticks in the future. The site I was thinking of was off the road to Sedge Fen and was perhaps a mile or so along the worst track ever. Some people left their cars and walked. You walked northish towards the railway line (you could even cross the line, I saw a female type there) and initially it was open farmland then on the right only there was a huge wood of poplars. You could see the Orioles in there and also flying across the railway line.

Happy memories, I think it was August 5th when I saw a male out in the open on the left hand side of the track, stunning views.......all described in my book of course:-O

Good on you, Rob - another piece of shameless self-publicity, but don't worry, someone's ordered your book for me.

We've already had a well-twitched Golden Oriole in Hampshire this year of course.

Dave W

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back