• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Plover (Hong Kong) - how to confirm as Pacific? (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

I took these photos today at Mai Po, Hong Kong. I know that the default golden plover here is Pacific. But I would nevertheless like guidance as to whether these photos conclusively determine them to be Pacific, rather than European or American.

The bird in the third picture seems to show white flanks with sparse black barring, but I think it's possible that the wings are hiding the flanks and that the apparent black barring beneath the closed wing is just the underparts moulting into breeding plumage.

(In case you're wondering, European has been recorded in Hong Kong.)

Thank you!

Attachments

• DSCN9855.JPG
    DSCN9855.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN9859.JPG
    DSCN9859.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN9862.JPG
    DSCN9862.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Tertial tips fall short of the primary tips, which themselves are barely longer than the tail tip. This is normal for Pacific.

AGP would likely show a clearly longer primary projection beyond the tail, and likely much less gold spangling on the upper parts (much greyer overall impression)

This bird has noticeably bolder spangling than EGP, and very long tibia (the part of the leg above the knee).

Black underparts are still developing as it is still early spring.

Hence, these look like clear PGPs to me.

Last edited:
Like you say, Pacific GP is the default here in HK. It's a locally common winter visitor and passage migrant. There are two or three records of European and no confirmed records of American so far.

These birds all look typical of Pacific GP to me, in various stages of moult (which is typical at this time of year).
European should show a different structure, eg shorter legs, larger head/neck. The pattern of the upperparts is also slightly different - these birds have large golden spots and golden fringes typical of Pacific, whereas European has smaller notches on the feather edges. Bird 2 is mostly in winter plumage and the head has a prominent supercilium and dark eye stripe, which would not be expected on European (the other two are partly in breeding plumage, so this feature probably can't be used).
I'm not familiar with American GP, but I would expect that to also differ in structure. In particular, the primary projection on American should be longer than on these birds

Cross posted with John, but it looks like we generally agree. I hadn't realised more than 2 birds were involved. Must read more carefully! 🧐

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back