• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good customer service from Zeiss. (1 Viewer)

And "next week" came and went...

I suppose we all need decent backups when repairs are needed. The problem is the time factor and anxiety of waiting for the return and having to put up with second best.

My scope eyepiece is in for repair at the moment and a week seems like forever as I can't take decent shots with my other scope.

Oh well.....when it comes back it may have morphed into a Harpia!!!

I suppose we all need decent backups when repairs are needed. The problem is the time factor and anxiety of waiting for the return and having to put up with second best.

My scope eyepiece is in for repair at the moment and a week seems like forever as I can't take decent shots with my other scope.

I fully agree, the problem is expectations management. First there was no estimate due to the Covid backlog, what is completely understandable.

But then when you are giving a date (i.e. shipping it back now), you are led to believe you will have it then...will see.

I did have to contact Zeiss in the past for eyecup replacement, etc, and it was perfect. It is the first time I send a unit for repair, and being such a premium instrument, expectations on quality, service delivery, estimates, etc, are high.

Not arriving to any conclusion yet.

Ok I have just received the binos...Zeiss replaced them by another pair (probably new).

After trying it for about 30 mins, I can confirm that there was definitely something wrong with the focus wheel of my previous pair...the resistance was very different depending on what direction I turned it and some times there was some sort of "clicky". I should have sent them earlier as they always had that problem since I bought them, shortly after launch.

Optically they are of course outstanding. I don't know if it is because I have been using my Victory Compact 8x20 while I was waiting for this to come back, but I did not remember them being this good. It was actually nice to reconnect with the 8x20s for a few weeks.

For reference, the whole process took 5 weeks and 2 days. I sent them via my local camera shop, and after 3.5 weeks I was told Zeiss had sent them back, and I got the message to pick them up today.

The replacement pair came in a sealed box, including a new case and strap, and cloth.

Hi,

As your original binocular was under warranty it was replaced.

The binocular you received was brand new.

Gary

Hi,

As your original binocular was under warranty it was replaced.

The binocular you received was brand new.

Gary

Hi Gary, thanks for confirming.

One curiosity...in my SF 8x42, Pocket 8x20 and previous Compact 8x25 I need the diopter adjustment knob set between -1 and -2. In the new pair I need it exactly in the middle.

Hi Gary, thanks for confirming.

One curiosity...in my SF 8x42, Pocket 8x20 and previous Compact 8x25 I need the diopter adjustment knob set between -1 and -2. In the new pair I need it exactly in the middle.

So, in conclusion, are you satisfied with Zeiss customer service, as per the thread title?

Is this the Zeiss marketing dept speaking?
= "much of the innocuous tosh spewed by others".

Bit sarcastic Sollas but not at all pal. I have no connection with Zeiss though I have visited their premises, along with the Leica and Swarovski establishments many years ago.

Just that nowadays people are so quick to publicly criticise or whinge, whilst expecting things done there and then. I call it the McDonald's syndrome..... reflecting the modern attitude towards instant gratification.

It's also courteous, good manners and to correctly balance or closea forum thread by doing so. To not do so, especially after a positive outcome, could be seen as being ignorant or rude by some. That's simply all it is.

Last edited:
I am getting my Zeiss 10x42 SF back today. It took 8 weeks. I will let you know how they turned out when I have a chance to look through them.

Zeiss did an excellent job on my SF 10x42. They went through everything and replaced the focus drive and wheel that I am assuming Is the same as the black model. [ mine is the gray version] they also replaced the eyecups and and set alignment. They seem perfect now to me. I like the gray armor so I think I have now a gray Zeiss with the same focus mechanism as the black version. Can anyone confirm this?

Is about a month the right amount of turnaround time for the other companies as well? Is this considered long or short by birder's standards? I have no reference for this sort of thing.

. = "much of the innocuous tosh spewed by others".

Bit sarcastic Sollas but not at all pal. I have no connection with Zeiss though I have visited their premises, along with the Leica and Swarovski establishments many years ago.

Just that nowadays people are so quick to publicly criticise or whinge, whilst expecting things done there and then. I call it the McDonald's syndrome..... reflecting the modern attitude towards instant gratification.

It's also courteous, good manners and to correctly balance or closea forum thread by doing so. To not do so, especially after a positive outcome, could be seen as being ignorant or rude by some. That's simply all it is.

I made an effort to state facts, dates and events as I reported updates, as I find those more important elements for people to arrive to their own conclusion. Own perception is subjective, but if you ask:

-I had contacted Zeiss before for i.e. eyecup replacement, etc, and it was perfect.
-This is the first time I send a unit to be repaired. It took just over 5 weeks what is acceptable and within average, according to what I have researched.
-The unit was replaced straight. Of course I am happy with that. I am testing the new unit, so far so good.
-I was told by my local camera shop that the time it takes to Zeiss to complete a repair can be unpredictable, even more after Covid19 restrictions. I did not find just over 5 week excessive but that statement did impact my expectations. Hence my reference to expectations management in a previous post.

Having said that, when I make the financial effort to purchase the most expensive/premium product in the world in its category, I do expect that all the elements of the service delivery to perform at that standard.

Am I satisfied? Yes. Could it be even better? Yes.

Zeiss did an excellent job on my SF 10x42. They went through everything and replaced the focus drive and wheel that I am assuming Is the same as the black model. [ mine is the gray version] they also replaced the eyecups and and set alignment. They seem perfect now to me. I like the gray armor so I think I have now a gray Zeiss with the same focus mechanism as the black version. Can anyone confirm this?

Hi Robert,

Yes, you now have a grey SF with the updated focus mechanism from the black version.

Gary.

Gary contacted me this morning with the really good news that Zeiss are sending a replacement Diascope 20-75 zoom.

Thanks Gary for good advice and service.

what bothers me out zeiss service is more about their product lines....send a Terra in for service and they will more that likely send you a new one...sometimes this happens even with the conquest.....makes one wonder exactly how much zeiss has into each unit of these less than alpha models.....that its cheaper to replace than repair....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back