• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good day out in Kent (1 Viewer)

jeweller

Ian Haigh
My wife and I also went to Elmley and Harty Ferry for the first time on Sunday and had a superb day. Hen & Marsh Harrier, Merlin, Barn & Short Eared Owl. Red Legged & Grey Partridge and Quail. Merganser. We watched two Kestrels doing a mid air display, possibly male feeding its mate, then mate on the ground. The male then hopped into some reeds, caught a bird, possibly a small wader, which he then proceeded to eat possibly to regurgitate for his mate later. Fieldfares, Pintails the list goes on. We met some people who were watching the Rough Legged Buzzard in the distance but we did not see it. We both agreed that it was the best days birding that we have had since we went to the Carmargue last June.
I have one question which perhaps somebody can answer. What is a Ring Tailed Hen Harrier? We heard people saying that they had seen them but we cannot find any description of them. Is it just a variation?
If the weather stays fine we might try to get back next Sunday.

jeweller said:
What is a Ring Tailed Hen Harrier? We heard people saying that they had seen them but we cannot find any description of them. Is it just a variation?

sounds like a great day.

Ring tail Hen Harrier - refers to the bird being a female hen harrier

Ring tail Hen Harrier - refers to the bird being a female hen harrier[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I suppose we should have looked for something fairly obvious as an answer.

jeweller said:
Ring tail Hen Harrier - refers to the bird being a female hen harrier

Thanks for the reply. I suppose we should have looked for something fairly obvious as an answer.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really say it was all that obvious, if ya don't know - ya don't know, but now ya do know for when people start getting smart a*sed!!!

jeweller said:
My wife and I also went to Elmley and Harty Ferry for the first time on Sunday and had a superb day. Hen & Marsh Harrier, Merlin, Barn & Short Eared Owl. Red Legged & Grey Partridge and Quail. Merganser. We watched two Kestrels doing a mid air display, possibly male feeding its mate, then mate on the ground. The male then hopped into some reeds, caught a bird, possibly a small wader, which he then proceeded to eat possibly to regurgitate for his mate later. Fieldfares, Pintails the list goes on. We met some people who were watching the Rough Legged Buzzard in the distance but we did not see it. We both agreed that it was the best days birding that we have had since we went to the Carmargue last June.
I have one question which perhaps somebody can answer. What is a Ring Tailed Hen Harrier? We heard people saying that they had seen them but we cannot find any description of them. Is it just a variation?

Are you absolutely sure about your claim of quail? Quail is very scarce and very very elusive at the best of times and is a summer visitor. I'm fairly sure that area of Kent is not great for quail so the chances of it being quail are miniscule.

aythya_hybrid said:
Are you absolutely sure about your claim of quail? Quail is very scarce and very very elusive at the best of times and is a summer visitor. I'm fairly sure that area of Kent is not great for quail so the chances of it being quail are miniscule.

Well if it was not a quail it was doing a very good impersonation of one. We had seen the 2 different partridge all day and it was definitely not either of those. If anybody can come up with a suggestion we would be interested to hear it!!!! Smaller than the partridges with brown speckled back. They do arrive in April, I know it is early but is possible.

Last edited:
jeweller said:

Sounds like an excellent day! Where did you see the owls? I've never seen either and would love to...................

Thanks

Andrew

jeweller said:
Well if it was not a quail it was doing a very good impersonation of one. We had seen the 2 different partridge all day and it was definitely not either of those. If anybody can come up with a suggestion we would be interested to hear it!!!! Smaller than the partridges with brown speckled back. They do arrive in April, I know it is early but is possible.

Hello, yes, sorry if my previous sounded a bit rude: I simply wanted to point out that a quail in the cold in early march would be pretty exceptional. Plus the fact that quails are heard way way more often than they are seen. Quails are tiny (about half the size of Partridge) and have a stripy back and quite a striking face pattern (especially in the males). Don't know if that is any help!

jeweller said:

Glad you enjoyed the site too Ian.

I am glad I was not the only one to miss the Rough-legged Buzzard!

Where did you see the Grey Partridge, I only say some Red-legs. Also where was the 'Quail.

The name 'ringtail' is given because sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between female and juvenile Hen Harriers (and they both have barring across the tail).

Sean F

adw73uk said:
Sounds like an excellent day! Where did you see the owls? I've never seen either and would love to...................

Thanks

Andrew

I don't know about Ian, but the scrub to the left of the road to the raptor watch point was where I saw 1 of my SE Owls (best in the evening). I also saw 2 more behind the houses on The Swale NNR at the Eastern point of the Island.

My Barn Owl was seen just outside The Swale NNR hunting over a field next to the road at dusk.

Sean F

The most reliable site for Short eared Owl on sheppy for me is down by the Harty Ferry Inn. Follow the path from the Inn car park down to the river and look back on the hill. From about half 3 in the afternoon they are almost guarenteed.

adw73uk said:
Paul, Sean, Thanks.

If the weather holds out I'm going to pay a visit at the weekend.

Cheers, Andrew
If you are early enough the access road to Elmley is a good spot for barn owl. Just as you pull off the main road and before you reach the farm buildings try stopping and scanning the rough ground back towards the bridge. We have seen barn owls there pretty much every week for the last couple of months.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your day on Sheppey whatever.

Woody

Sean F said:
I don't know about Ian, but the scrub to the left of the road to the raptor watch point was where I saw 1 of my SE Owls (best in the evening). I also saw 2 more behind the houses on The Swale NNR at the Eastern point of the Island.

My Barn Owl was seen just outside The Swale NNR hunting over a field next to the road at dusk.

Sean F

The Short Eared Owls were on the road to Harty Ferry about halfway down about 4pm. The Barn Owl was at the Raptor lookout about 6pm.
About the Quail, I have checked the books and I cannot see anything else that it could have been. The only others would have been immature Partridges and they don't really match and would have been too early I would have thought. I suppose it could have been one that did not leave, I don't know if that is possible or was early returning. I have kept it on my list but with a question mark!!!!!

Thanks to all for advice.

I made it to Capel on Monday, very cold but did manage to spot a Barn Owl hunting in front of the raptor view point - Excellent!

No sign of any S E Owls, but managed a hooded crow at Hart Ferry Inn, Peregrine, and a Merlin at the Fleet passed within a few metres of me. That was in addition to numerous Harriers and Kestrels which seemed to be everywhere! A great afternoon.

Also spotted a duck I couldn't ID. It was slimmer and smaller than a mallard and had a red/chestnut brown head. Rest of body was a non-descript speckled brown/grey - can't be any clearer as the light was fading and it was in silhouette when it flew off. Closest thing I can find in the guides is a ferruginous duck - though I'm far from convinced.

Any ideas??

Cheers

ANdrew

Last edited:
If it was on the Swale could have been a female Red-breasted Merganser there are a few wintering there

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back