• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good News! (1 Viewer)

I don’t personally have any updates on Dungeness (without phoning people!) - it might well be public info is being suppressed due to Covid and the consequential lack of staff/volunteers to monitor them - the last time I saw breeding PH at Dungeness some years ago, they were having to be closely monitored to prevent disturbance and tracks down to the reed bed were closed.
Just checking - are you saying Pallid Harriers have bred at Dungeness in the past?

Spoonbills breeding successfully in Orkney in 2018? That is a big jump North and possibly the most Northern breeding record ever ?
Tbh - I‘m surprised Little Egret haven’t bred yet in Scotland (especially in favorable habitat like the Montrose Basin).

I first saw Little Egret on the North Coast of Scotland over 15 years ago, so unless there’s an ecological reason why they haven’t bred, surely it’s a matter of time.

People can be just way too free and easy with their abbreviations lol ... discussion was about Pallids in previous few posts to be fair.

(And I still miss that shocked purple emoticon)
And just to be fair, I think you know full well Pallid Harrier haven’t bred at Dungeness - or in the UK - ever!! 🙃

Spoonbills breeding successfully in Orkney in 2018? That is a big jump North and possibly the most Northern breeding record ever ?
Looks to be, yes; they've been breeding for a long time in northern Denmark just N of 57°N, but that's only level with about Aberdeen in Scotland.

And just to be fair, I think you know full well Pallid Harrier haven’t bred at Dungeness - or in the UK - ever!! 🙃
I didn't think they had, so wondered what on earth you were on about saying they had!!! All is clear now though hopefully lol.

(Re-read post #16 again!)

;-)

Tbh - I‘m surprised Little Egret haven’t bred yet in Scotland (especially in favorable habitat like the Montrose Basin).

I first saw Little Egret on the North Coast of Scotland over 15 years ago, so unless there’s an ecological reason why they haven’t bred, surely it’s a matter of time.
They've been breeding on and off in Northumbs for a few years now, but more off than on. They're a bit on the edge here for the weather, and get knocked back every time there's a winter with a colder snap. If they're going to breed in Scotland, I'd think it'll be on the Solway first, somewhere like Caerlaverock, rather than the Montrose Basin.

Any idea if Little Egret breed in Cumbria? They breed in nearby Lancashire but not in big numbers. Won't the birds that breed in Northumberland migrate to warmer climates when they need to ?

Any idea if Little Egret breed in Cumbria? They breed in nearby Lancashire but not in big numbers. Won't the birds that breed in Northumberland migrate to warmer climates when they need to ?
From the 2018 rare birds breeding report, breeding at 5 sites in Cumbria, with up to 36 pairs. No idea myself where those 5 sites are. No idea either why the NL ones didn't migrate - or maybe they did, but ended up somewhere that the weather was even worse?

I believe Little Egret first bred in Cumbria in 2012. The 2019 county report says five sites again for last year (as per post above re 2018) with two others a possibility. One of the five sites had twenty three occupied nests in 2019.

Looks to be, yes; they've been breeding for a long time in northern Denmark just N of 57°N, but that's only level with about Aberdeen in Scotland.
I had read the Cheshire
I believe Little Egret first bred in Cumbria in 2012. The 2019 county report says five sites again for last year (as per post above re 2018) with two others a possibility. One of the five sites had twenty three occupied nests in 2019.

That seems to be more than Lancashire!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back