• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose at San Carlos Cemetery, Monterey, CA, USA (2 Viewers)

I saw this goose with a flock of Canadas at San Carlos Cemetery in Monterey, CA this past Sunday, 10/10/21. I entered it into ebird as Domestic Graylag, but the reviewer disagrees and wants me to change it to Domestic goose sp. (Domestic type). I'm not suggesting here that the reviewer is wrong, but I am curious if anyone can tell me what it is, other than "a little bit Canada". I have more photos, but they are all pretty much identical to this one (taken in a burst) except that in one the bird had its head raised and turned slightly, so that you can see the crown (which is completely white). Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Happy birding and may the light be with you,
A Terrible Human Being (AKA Ralph)

P.S., "Domestic goose sp. (Domestic type)" makes me wonder if there is a "wild type" of domestic goose. "Domestic goose sp. (Domestic type)" sounds a bit silly to me, it's like at Ike's Love and Sandwiches today, when they told me they were out of "vegan meatballs". I said "vegan meatballs" cannot be a thing, they should cancel themselves out and not be able to exist.

Attachments

• DSCN0118.JPG
    DSCN0118.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 18
It looks like a regular domestic goose, ie a heavily mucked-about derivative of greylag. I don't see any obvious Canada goose in it.
I imagine that eBird has its own standard rule for what they choose to allocate these things as - so you might consider just letting them do whatever they want to do with it.

It is a canada x probably white domestic greylag. This can be rather difficult to see in white birds, but look at the bill .

In greylag you have this type of bill whicht you can describe as having a slight grinning patch
domestic greylag goose:

in Canada goose you don´t have any of this and the cutting edges of the mandibles are rather straight

hybrids , as your bird, tend to have a more Canada goose like bill in this respect

As an aside :
Domestic geese came from two different wild speciues: in Europe the Greylag goose (Anser anser) was domesticated and is the ancestor of the European domestic geese, barnyard geese or however you call them (there are also various domestic breedsof european geese)

In eastern Asia not the Greylag, but the Swan goose (Anser cygnoides) was domesticated . The domestic form is often called Chinese goose , but there are also some specific breeds.

Both species in their domestic forms have been crossed, and the hybrids are fertile . So a domestic goose can be a domestic form of Greylag or of swan goose or a cross between the two (but it need not be a first generation cross) .

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back