• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Goose ID, S Poland (1 Viewer)

Max S.

Would it be possible to ID the species from these very poor photos (I suspect Greylag). Found last March in the Beskid Mountains.

Attachments

• DSCN1523.JPG
    DSCN1523.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 54
  • FSCN1526.JPG
    FSCN1526.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 54
  • FSCN1527.JPG
    FSCN1527.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 55

Alexander Stöhr

For me too, please note black legs, just visible right head pattern, swan-like proportions with long neck (compared to Anser-Geese). I know, you maybe hesitate, because Canada are rare in Poland? They are for sure rare in NW-Poland

Max S.

As Alexander wrote, I hardly ever considered Canada (only really think to find them near major lake complexes), so to find them in the mountains is quite the surprise for me. Thank you both very much!

lou salomon

the birdonist
? Black necks, black face, white cheek patches...
no narrow vertical cheek patches as in canada but diffuse pale head sides as in greylag. strong counterlight, so necks look black, but note how the light is "eating" into their sillhouette, making them thinner than they are. and proportions: in canada neck is longer than head + bill, seen from below while in these birds necks are shorter.

Alexander Stöhr

Thank you Lou and The Fern for comments. After looking at those pictures again, and knowing the new input, I am unsure now (thanks for that). Yes, light situation can produce a pitfall picture here, but I looked at all birds in these pictures. Is it possible, that this can result in a good, but not perfect colouration and pattern as said, including the following "pro Canada features" in all birds?
  • slightly paler breast with slight contrast to darker neck
  • gradually paler vent in slightest contrast to darker belly (which look brownish, yes colours are nearly impossible to judge)
  • yes colours are nearly impossible to judge, but legs look very dark and I would suspect to see paler bills, if they were Greylags, too.
  • I get the impression that contrast between darker underwing and paler belly (outlining division between body and wing) in some (not all) of them is better for Canada.
after reading Lous comment I looked at the underwing more closely. Greylag is said to have two-coloured underwing, but there is some variation in this and a feature very much dependent on light conditions. I am undecided here, but with a little bit of wishful thinking it might be slightly better for a Greylag indeed, but clearly within variation for Canada.

Conclusion? Is it possible to see the original pictures, and would you allow others with experience in editing to adjust colours, brightness and contrast? While I am still in the Canada-camp (ignoring that a flock of Canadas would be a good record for Poland?), I get the feeling, that I would be surprised, when seeing the corrected pictures.

Max S.

No problem, here are the original photos (only cropped) and a few more (although even worse...). If anyone would like to have a go at editing them I'd be more than happy.

Attachments

• DSCN1521.JPG
    DSCN1521.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1523.JPG
    DSCN1523.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1524.JPG
    DSCN1524.JPG
    352.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1525.JPG
    DSCN1525.JPG
    621.1 KB · Views: 14
  • FSCN1526.JPG
    FSCN1526.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 13
  • FSCN1527.JPG
    FSCN1527.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 13

Alexander Stöhr

Thank you Max for the original pictures, I still hope for experts to edit them, but after just enlarging them I see Greylags now. Thank you Lou for right identification. I must admit, that I thought the answer was there with confidence.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread