• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose sp. (1 Mile High)(EastTN) (1 Viewer)

UnknownSpecies56

Hey folks,

I photographed what looks like a goose of some kind flying at about 1 mile high, and it seemed to be alone. I zoomed and focused in as best as I could but only the shape and a little bit of contrast was captured. I think it could be a snow goose because of the darker contrast at the tips of the wings underneath. I've photographed greater white fronted geese flying at this altitude and in the same direction at this location before, but there was more daylight and thus better photo quality. This photograph was taken about an hour and a half before dark and it was overcast. There may not be enough here to identify this bird but I thought I'd ask anyway.

There are only five species of goose in TN, Snow Goose, Ross's Goose, Cackling, Canadian, and Greater White Fronted Goose. I think the cackling and Canadian can be ruled out because the only dark area on this unknown here seems to be the wing-tips. Greater White Fronted Goose would seem to have overall darker contrast of the entire underwing. So that leaves either Snow or Ross's. I don't think there's enough detail to distinguish which one.

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSCN4008.jpg
    DSCN4008.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back