• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gordoni and different opinions (or partial differences) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

• Philemon buceroides gordoni Mathews, 1912 OD here
  • Turdus eremita gordoni (Stenhouse, 1924) OD here
Here:

In 1919, though the generosity of Mr J. G. Gordon of Corsemalzie, Wigtownshire, there were presented to the Royal Scottish Museum two consignments of birds' skins from Tristan d'Acunha chiefly sea birds;

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Helmeted Friarbird ssp. Philemon buceroides gordoni Mathews, 1912 The original description has no etymology. We do not know who Gordon was. Two possible contenders for the honour are John Grant Gordon (1858–1951), who was an Australian businessman, and Leslie Gordon Chandler (1888–1980), an Australian businessman and ornithologist.
Tristan Thrush ssp. Nesocichla eremita gordoni Stenhouse, 1924
John Gordon McHaffie-Gordon (1875–1938) was a Scottish lepidopterist, ornithologist, conchologist and naturalist. He served with the Black Watch (WW1). He was very interested in the island of Tristan da Cunha and co-wrote an article on Tristan's birds and their eggs.

The Key to Scientific Names
  • Gordon Point, Melville I., Northern Territory, Australia (subsp. Philemon buceroides).
  • J. G. M. Gordon (1875-1938) Scottish lepidopterist, sponsor (subsp. Turdus eremita).

I would go as well for Gordon Point (but as usual Mathews brain was somehow special). Regarding John Gordon McHaffie-Gordon obituary here. Take it for what's worth .

Nothing wrong with the thrush but there is zero evidence or reason to associate Leslie Gordon Chandler with the Friarbird. As we have recently seen several of the names from Melville island are cryptic toponyms and I see no reason to doubt James about Gordon Point as we know that several of the bird collected on this trip come from Gordon Point. Gordon Point in turn was named after Sir James John Gordon Bremer KCB KCH (1786-1850) of the HMS Tamar.

Last edited:
In the case of Stenhouse's Tristan Trush ssp. Turdus/Nesocichla eremita gordoni (1924) I'd go for: John Gordon McHaffie Gordon (without hyphen that is, just like it was written in the/his Obituary);
... He contributed, with me, an article on the birds and their eggs from Tristan da Cunha, in which isolated island he was most interested. ...

Regarding the Friar Bird, of 1912, it's (most) certainly trickier. Note that the Obituary itself (in The Ibis, 1939) was written by "G. M. M." [Gregory Macalister Mathews (1876–1949)]. :unsure:

Though, until further evidence is found I'd stick to the Type location (Gordon Point, on Melville Island) ...

Maybe this is/was nothing but a (simple) coincidence, that this place share/d the same name as Mathews's co-author, it could very well be just a lucky chance, a toss-up, that might have made Mathews think of Mr Gordon (the Tristan da Cunha enthusiast), or not ... (that is if they knew, or even knew of, each other, back in 1912, of course)

When it comes to Mr Mathews one never knows how his mind worked.

For what it's worth.

Björn

PS. I assume it was this piece (from 1932), and this co-author ("J. G. Gordon"), that Mr Mathews was referring to, in the Obituary of/after John Gordon (McHaffie) Gordon. The account for "Nesocichla eremita gordoni Stenh.", a k a "Inaccessible Island Trush" is found on pp.46–47.

Though, note that in this text Mr Gordon is/was mentioned as: "Jack G. Gordon", on p.20 :oops: ('Jack' for John?).

The wilful brain of Mr Mathews sure never ends in giving us things to work with. Sigh.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back