• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk? Northumberland UK (1 Viewer)

Andrew14

Hi all, first time posting. I was recently gathering berries in Kielder Forest UK and had heard a bird calling for some time, the same call is heard on a previous visit around a week ago. It was an elongated piercing Kiiiiii-a call.

When in a clearing in the forest, I heard the call getting closer and saw a large bird, wingspan 4 foot plus swoop down and land on a tree some distance away. I got a good look at it (albeit from a distance of about 30 yards) before it took flight again and I managed to snap a couple of pictures on my phone at full zoom
so the quality isn’t the best.

Everything I’ve researched has led me to believe it must be a Northern Goshawk but just wondering on your opinions? Again, apologies for the poor quality of the photographs.

Attachments

• 85E28C8E-7AF1-4388-9BAC-23C36318A465.jpg
    85E28C8E-7AF1-4388-9BAC-23C36318A465.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 138
  • 2759F5FF-9F82-49E7-9645-31E705008DAC.jpg
    2759F5FF-9F82-49E7-9645-31E705008DAC.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 136
Yep, Buzzard. (Good effort with a phone!)

If it was calling a lot it is most likely a juvenile wanting to be fed.

John

And despite living in a place where Goshawk is quite common, I have never seen one land in the open, they always dash though and in to cover.

Having said that, I found a fledged youngster in Moscow, it was calling to it's parents but unable to completely fly and was sat in a bush, just 2m from the ground with the parents overhead somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back