• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk or a sparrowhawk, Scotland, UK (1 Viewer)

Jaysan

Apologies for the quality of images. Saw this bird flying around noon near Doune. Thought it looked too large for a sparrowhawk (but could be a female). Am I imagining the black hood and the heavy hip? The wing beats were definitely not "as fast as a pigeon". I heard that there are goshawks in the area. So hoping I have seen one.

Attachments

• 1H0A4793.JPG
    1H0A4793.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1H0A4787.JPG
    1H0A4787.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 1H0A4790.JPG
    1H0A4790.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 89
Still looks better for Sparrowhawk to me - note the squared-off tail, short neck, visible barring on secondaries, and relatively broad hand. Also, the head pattern isn't quite right for Goshawk. The wingbeat frequency is important, but it can also vary according to weather conditions etc.

Still looks better for Sparrowhawk to me - note the squared-off tail, short neck, visible barring on secondaries, and relatively broad hand. Also, the head pattern isn't quite right for Goshawk. The wingbeat frequency is important, but it can also vary according to weather conditions etc.
Thank you. Where can we find some info on barring on secondaries?

Thank you. Where can we find some info on barring on secondaries?
I don't remember off the top of my head where I read it (other than on this forum, where it has been brought up repeatedly. And obviously, I've observed it in the field as well), but basically, adult Goshawks tend to show fainter barring on the secondaries than Sparrowhawks. It's not mentioned in the Collins Guide AFAIK, but I'm fairly certain it is mentioned in more in-depth raptor guides.

See here, for example:
Northern Goshawk Accipiter gentilis – Birds in Flight – ID guide
(scroll down a bit to picture 1473)

Or here:
www.birdphoto.fi/lajikuvat/kuvahtml/2accgen1S7.html

Last edited:
Immature Goshawks show clearly visible secondary barring, as demonstrated on some of the images that Sangahyando links to, whilst it is usually much reduced or sometimes virtually absent in adults. It is essential to age your bird really before you can use this feature. On build, flight silhouette and overall 'jizz', your image shows a Sparrowhawk.

RB

It is essential to age your bird really before you can use this feature. On build, flight silhouette and overall 'jizz', your image shows a Sparrowhawk.

RB

Sure, but the bird in the OP shows ventral barring, whereas juvenile Goshawks are streaked on the chest and belly, so you can rule out the latter (juv Goshawk) by default in this particular case.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back