• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got a scratch on the inner side of objective lens (1 Viewer)

bigandfat

United States
Just picked up my Nikon Prostaff 3s and I saw a tiny (about just 1mm) scratch on the coating of the objective lens. It's on the inner side and it's really weird. Has this happened to any of you?
I don't think it affects the optic quality at all, but what's your take on this?

Hi, welcome to the forum :)
If it's brand new and you just bought it, I think it's legit to return it as a defect unit and get a new one (since it's in the inside of the lens I assume it's nothing you can easily mend or fix). If you've bought it in a brick and mortar shop, talk to the sales person and show them the scratch, if it's online, even better, not sure about the US, but in Europe you have 14 days to return an item "no questions asked" in case you don't want that model anymore. Otherwise, if you like the model, maybe they can exchange it for a new unit because it seems a flaw on the building/manufacturing process. Well, at least that's what I would do. I've had it in the past with some optics, and it has always worked out.

Hi, welcome to the forum :)
If it's brand new and you just bought it, I think it's legit to return it as a defect unit and get a new one (since it's in the inside of the lens I assume it's nothing you can easily mend or fix). If you've bought it in a brick and mortar shop, talk to the sales person and show them the scratch, if it's online, even better, not sure about the US, but in Europe you have 14 days to return an item "no questions asked" in case you don't want that model anymore. Otherwise, if you like the model, maybe they can exchange it for a new unit because it seems a flaw on the building/manufacturing process. Well, at least that's what I would do. I've had it in the past with some optics, and it has always worked out.
Thanks. Just decided to return it and go for a new one. I like how light it is and comfortable to use under outdoor conditions. But the quality control is just not ideal.

Just picked up my Nikon Prostaff 3s and I saw a tiny (about just 1mm) scratch on the coating of the objective lens. It's on the inner side and it's really weird. Has this happened to any of you?
I don't think it affects the optic quality at all, but what's your take on this?
Faulty then.... no question. It shouldn't be there.
Welcome to the forum

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back