• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO Passion HD 8x42 versus ED 8x42? (1 Viewer)

What happened to the thread I read earlier about the mix up with the 8x42 ED vs HD mixup and review against the 10x42 HD? I don't see it anymore.

Has anybody ever compared these two and how did they match up?
I havent but I imagine that the HD will give a brighter view due to the enhanced coatings.
I recently bought the 10x32 ED and the 10x42 HD the 10x32ED has a slight amber cast to MY eyes.
The 10x42HD has no cast that I can discern.
This slight amber cast in no way affects the enjoyment of using this binocular for ME.

Both are very sharp and feel very substantial.
At this early stage I'm very happy with both.

Pity they haven't made HD versions in their 32mm range.

I recently tried Passion ED 8x42 and the eye relief did not meet my requirements with eyeglasses. HD is stated to have 1,5mm longer eye relief than ED. Anyone who compared these two in this respect?

I have passion ED 8x32 and its superb for the money. I also have the passion HD 10x42 and it a bit better and also cost moore.
HD 10x42 is litle sharper and sharp to the edge. CA is moore on the HD 10x42 but not in centre ov view. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Both are really good binoculars for the money.

I bought the GPO Passion ED 8x42 a few months back when I sended in my SFL's for guarantee and I am impressed with them ever since.
Took them with me to Gran Canaria last november and they served in a terrific way. If you ask me, they are very hard to beat in this price segment.
Very sharp with nice contrasts though a little warmer (yellowish-orange) colourcast but that shouldn't be a bad thing, it does not bothers me at least. Close focus must be around 1.8m I suppose. Optically, when directly compared with a Viper HD, the GPO's are a step up with a more transparant view and less reflections when viewing towards the sun. Haven't yet compared the with the HD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back