• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grafham Water (1 Viewer)

Matthebirder

I will be posting all my Grafham reports here from now. For all old Grafham Water posts and links to my Flickr site go to the Cambridgeshire Birding thread.

Fantastic to see a photo of all 4 Divers together. I saw three this morning, but all at different places around the reservoir. Other notables included the Great White Egret still, 22 Little Egrets and a vocal adult Peregrine.

Grafham 28 Nov 2020; Red-breasted Merganser female off Church Hill 11.00 then swam out to the middle before flying off
Three Great Northern Divers still, seen close together late morning well off from the Sailing Club. Two Great White Egrets plus single Goosander female.

Last edited:
Grafham 29 Nov 2020; four Bewick’s Swans at Savages Creek point with the Cormorants late morning.
Three Great Northern Divers still off sailing club/lagoons. The hybrid Tufted/Scaup type off Hill Farm.

Grafham 5 Dec 2020; three Great Northern Divers at dusk in a close group off Hill Farm. One seen mid morning flying a few circuits of the reservoir. They may not favour the sailing club now that sailing has resumed. Two Great White Egrets in Savages Creek and a female Red Breasted Merganser off Hill Farm.

Grafham Water 6 Dec ; far too foggy to count the GND's today; it was a surprise to read about Purple Sandpiper reported on Rarebird Alert on 27 Nov? I hope there are some photos to look at as this is one I've been waiting for for many years; last reservoir bird I found was in 1976 at Pitsford! Only wader I could see today was this one .........

Grafham Water 6 Dec ; far too foggy to count the GND's today; it was a surprise to read about Purple Sandpiper reported on Rarebird Alert on 27 Nov? I hope there are some photos to look at as this is one I've been waiting for for many years; last reservoir bird I found was in 1976 at Pitsford! Only wader I could see today was this one .........
The Purple Sandpiper was photographed by a fisherman. Been a few years now since the last site record (they’ve become very rare, although I think I’ve seen c.4 there previously).

Typically it appeared on the day my car was having a service, and I thought at the time that the Misty conditions might produce something!

Interesting; is the photo on-line anywhere? The Redshanks look very dark and can confuse the average fisherman. Some of them have a fair knowledge though.

Grafham 13 Dec 2020; four Great Northern Divers together off the Sailing club very close to shore early morning before dispersing widely.

Grafham 19 Dec 2020; four Great Northern Divers still generally off sailing club. Two Great White Egrets in Savages Creek. Two Common Sandpipers and 12 Redshanks. A female scaup to be verified still as seemed a bit small and was associating with the hybrid drake off Mander. A Peregrine through the gull roost.

Grafham 20 Dec 2020; Three or four GND's still off the lagoons/sailing club. Female Scaup off the Fishing Lodge. Two Brent Geese arrived mid morning for a while. Great White Egret moving about. Still 2 Common Sandpipers. Mediterranean Gull in the gull roost found by RP.

Grafham 25 Dec 2020 a pre-Christmas dinner GND count gave only 2 birds off the lagoons then probably only the same two off Church Hill late morning.
Three Great White Egrets at the western end and a pair of Goosanders moving about. Tier 4 tomorrow so can expect large crowds again......

Grafham 26 Dec 2020. Four Great Northern Divers still off the sailing club and later one close to the fishing harbour with a drake Goosander. One Great White Egret in Savages Creek. Single Common Sand.

Grafham 27 Dec 2020; female Scaup off Mander carpark, three GNDs off the sailing club and a single off the fishing lodge close to the harbour late morning, maybe bird no. 4.
One Great White Egret in Savages creek.
Drake Goosander still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back