• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grafham Water (1 Viewer)

Grafham 20 June 2021; very large gathering of Sand Martins along the dam in very cold conditions; I fear for the juveniles……. No interesting Terns yet; hope people are looking?

Grafham 23 June 2021 evening; single Green Sandpiper and a Common Gull in the lagoons, quite a large Starling roost containing a leucistic bird.

Grafham 4 July; a Common Sandpiper on the dam and plus an approachable adult Yellow-legged Gull. I think it must recognise me…..
Green Sandpiper and 6 Little Ringed Plovers on 3rd.

Grafham 5 July; a drake Common Scoter from Mallow point this evening. Single Dunlin and at least 5 LRP’s on the dam. Plus Adult Yellow-legged Gull

Grafham 9 July 2021; two Dunlin and at least nine LRP’s on the dam. Two Green Sandpipers in the lagoons. A couple of Yellow-legged Gulls now settled in for the summer.

Seems to be some unhelpful location-less reports getting on to RBA at the moment; good Grafham birds but just reported as at Grafham Water. Bittern and Garganey for example; does the reporter want people to see these, if so a location would be appreciated - its a very big reservoir!!
I don’t normally comment on such matters and I doubt the finders will be reading this. They must however be affiliated with a news network so will no doubt twitch other birds they see reported and will appreciate the issue, I hope.

Seems to be some unhelpful location-less reports getting on to RBA at the moment; good Grafham birds but just reported as at Grafham Water. Bittern and Garganey for example; does the reporter want people to see these, if so a location would be appreciated - its a very big reservoir!!
I don’t normally comment on such matters and I doubt the finders will be reading this. They must however be affiliated with a news network so will no doubt twitch other birds they see reported and will appreciate the issue, I hope.
Assume the Bittern was in lagoons. But not seen by neither Rich P, Colin, Nigel Butler or I.

interesting mid-summer record though.

Garganey could have been anywhere!

Grafham 24 July 2021; Garganey in lagoons from hide this afternoon.(female?)
Difficult to get clear views from the hide but it favoured the reed island to the right of the channel right of centre often disappearing for long periods.

Last edited:
Grafham 31 July 2021; two Sanderling and a Turnstone on the dam plus at least three Common Sandpipers. Several Yellow-legged Gulls.

Grafham 12 August 2021; the two Black-necked Grebes still at western end viewed from Mander carpark this evening. Ringed Plover on the dam .

Grafham 13 August 2021; a Turnstone on the dam (at least the 3rd different bird in a couple of weeks) ; three Common Sandpipers and a Ringed Plover still. 20 plus Yellow Wagtails plus many Pied Wags; everyone needs checking now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back