• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grafham Water (5 Viewers)

No, none of the locals know anything about this. We only saw the usual birds. Do you know who saw it and were all three on view at the same time?
I managed to only see the adult bird over 3 days so that is an indication of how difficult they are or maybe I am losing the edge……

Grafham 8 Jan 2022; Great Northern Diver (ad) off Fishing lodge mid morning. Two red head Smew in Valley Creek. Two Great White Egrets. Usual Yellow-legged Gull off the dam.

Grafham 9 Jan 2022: Great Northern Diver (Juv) at southern end of the dam early morning very close to the shore. Two Smew still in Valley Creek. The Yellow-legged Gull still present during the morning off the dam.

Grafham 16 Jan 2022: Great Northern Diver (Juv) off the dam in the morning. The 'hybrid' gull at Mander Carpark early afternoon. The more I look at this one the more I'm confused!
AH4I5841c1.JPGAH4I5841cx2.JPG

Last edited:
Grafham 23 Jan 2022; six Scaup today. The Great Northern Diver followed from Savages creek to the dam in almost the same time I could drive and park! This one really does move fast. Having caught a large fish it spent nearly 30 mins trying to eat it and then lost it to a Great Black-back! The diver objected with a loud call.

Grafham 29 Jan 2022; seven Scaup today, two males, six female types from Plumber Carpark though flushed around a lot by boats and dogs.

Grafham 30 Jan 2022; yes 2 + 5, never was very good at maths!

Only 3 females Scaup from Plummer today I think; Great Northern Diver moving around a lot, unsure if this is the original bird

AH4I6402c1.JPG

Grafham 5 Feb 2022; five Scaup female types from Plummer Carpark still. Finally some better views;

AH4I6783c1.JPGOne looks a bit odd (far right), with a darker bill so may be less than pure? Below
AH4I6711c1.JPG

Grafham 12 Feb 2022: five Scaup still off Plummer carpark. Great Northern Diver showed very well of the dam but appears to have a treble hook through its foot so not such good news. Common Sandpiper on the dam and also walking around by the cars in Mander Carpark. Beware!

AH4I6879c1 | Matthew Rodgers | Flickr

AH4I6989c1.JPG

Last edited:
Grafham 26 Feb 2022; eight Scaup off Plummer carpark with two fine drakes and five females. Great Northern Diver off Mander Carpark late morning. Common Sandpiper on the dam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back