• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Grass in the Highlands (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
Mr Google tells me it is grass and shows me visually similar images of mowed lawns. Big Brother Google Earth still has a long way to go before he is anywhere near ready to run the world.

Attachments

• grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
It's an Equisetum (Horsetail), but I cannot see which species from this picture.
The size of the channel in the stem is an important feature.

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
Horsetail is excellent Xenospiza, thanks very much. I've just learned it's a fern, not a grass.

Last edited:

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
.... very pretty, but a nightmare if you get it in the garden!!

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Great Horsetail Equisetum telmateia :t:

Needs wet ground, very unlikely to be a problem in a garden - it's only E. arvense (Field Horsetail) that's a problem.

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
Yes, this is up north of Inverness. I'll go take a few more photos today and post the location. I've never seen this fern before.

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
Here we go, a map where it's growing and 2 more photos of the horsetail. It is growing along a wet ditch beside the road and it looks as if the seeds are being washed along the ditch as it has spread along the banks of the ditch for about 50 yards or so. Perhaps a migratory bird deposited the original seeds or something. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Attachments

• horsetail1.jpg
    horsetail1.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 13
  • horsetail2.jpg
    horsetail2.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 10
  • horsetail3.jpg
    horsetail3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
Fate in the BSBI maps restored: it is known from Brora!

It is spread by spores, not by seeds.

Users who are viewing this thread