• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grass in the Highlands (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
Mr Google tells me it is grass and shows me visually similar images of mowed lawns. Big Brother Google Earth still has a long way to go before he is anywhere near ready to run the world.

Attachments

• grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
It's an Equisetum (Horsetail), but I cannot see which species from this picture.
The size of the channel in the stem is an important feature.

.... very pretty, but a nightmare if you get it in the garden!!

Great Horsetail Equisetum telmateia :t:

Needs wet ground, very unlikely to be a problem in a garden - it's only E. arvense (Field Horsetail) that's a problem.

Here we go, a map where it's growing and 2 more photos of the horsetail. It is growing along a wet ditch beside the road and it looks as if the seeds are being washed along the ditch as it has spread along the banks of the ditch for about 50 yards or so. Perhaps a migratory bird deposited the original seeds or something. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Attachments

• horsetail1.jpg
    horsetail1.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 13
  • horsetail2.jpg
    horsetail2.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 10
  • horsetail3.jpg
    horsetail3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back