• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grasshoppers of Britain and Western Europe, 11 March '21 (1 Viewer)

Ries

Netherlands
Just a heads up on this, now Ragg's book and cd's seem harder to come by:

Grasshoppers of Britain and Western Europe

Eric Sardet, Christian Roesti & Yoan Braud

Available from 11 March 2021. This is the first guide to the 261 species of orthopterans - the grasshoppers, crickets and katydids - of Britain and western Europe ever published. Set out in a clear and accessible format and featuring a combination of photographs and illustrations, the book covers identification criteria of all of the main species and subspecies, with detailed photographs of males and females, distribution maps, status, habitat descriptions, oscillograms, advice on where and when to find them, and tips to avoid confusion during the often tricky process of identification.

Comprehensive general chapters also cover morphology, ecology and habitat, and assist with research in the field.

What makes this work the total package? The book comes with a CD, featuring 222 orthopteran songs. Together, book and CD make this the definitive guide to these insects and a rich resource for any naturalist in the region. 304 pages.
https://www.wildsounds.com/products/6377-Grasshoppers-of-Britain-and-Western-Europe.shtml

Is there a list or which species are included and/or a definition of Western Europe ?

I was wondering what the definition of western Europe will be? It would be good to include Spain & Portugal- but that will be a lot of endemic & near endemic species. Certainly a Book that will be an essential purchase for me.

In 2022 we can expect more superb illustrations from Mr Lewington in a new Wild Guides book on Orthoptera of GB & Ireland with text from Peter Sutton. Believe will include Channel Isles which will add a couple of extra species.

I was wondering what the definition of western Europe will be? It would be good to include Spain & Portugal- but that will be a lot of endemic & near endemic species. Certainly a Book that will be an essential purchase for me.

In 2022 we can expect more superb illustrations from Mr Lewington in a new Wild Guides book on Orthoptera of GB & Ireland with text from Peter Sutton. Believe will include Channel Isles which will add a couple of extra species.

Would be even better to include European Russia!

Just speculating Andy - same authors, same number of pages, same number of species described, same number of species on the CD. Seems like too much of a coincidence to me.
Do we have any orthopterans that don't also occur in France? All they would have to do is expand the maps. We'll find out in March!

Roger

Just speculating Andy - same authors, same number of pages, same number of species described, same number of species on the CD. Seems like too much of a coincidence to me.
Do we have any orthopterans that don't also occur in France? All they would have to do is expand the maps. We'll find out in March!

Roger

I have the book and the only (sub) species that I can see that isn't in the book is Jersey Bush-cricket Platycleis albopunctata jerseyana.

Anyone have this already and can tell what the geographical range is, and if names in different languages are included? Thanks :)

Thanks, limited range, although the CD is still quite tempting, as far as contents go the Bellmann seems a better choice, though not translated in English, I think

As far as I can see the only species that is mentioned in Bellmann and Luquet (2017) to occur in Germany and none of the other countries covered by the book (Belgium, Switzerland, France, Luxemburg and the Netherlands) AND is not in Sardet et al (Orthoptères de France, Belgique, Luxembourg & Suisse) - which I am guessing is (almost) identical to Grasshoppers of Britain and Western Europe - is Barbistes constrictus.

I haven't had time to check if there are any other species included in Bellmann that are not in Sardet et al - but as Bellman has 163 species and Sardet has 261 (editted: although this does include subspecies) I would surprised if there were many.

The table of the species by country in Bellmann indicates that nothing occurs in the Netherlands that doesn't occur in at least one other country covered by the book.

I prefer the keys in Sardet but that's probably just a personal preference.

Paul

It's rather fuzzy as it's taken from a website but this map from the guide shows its coverage is limited to the UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, (Luxemberg?) and Switzerland. Without Iberia the title is misleading & would breach the Trades Description Act were it to apply to book titles. Any idea how many Iberian species are omitted?

1624353431029.png

Here you go John.

A bit random to include Corsica when considering the ommisions?

Attachments

• P6221077.JPG
    P6221077.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 7
As far as I can see the only species that is mentioned in Bellmann and Luquet (2017) to occur in Germany and none of the other countries covered by the book (Belgium, Switzerland, France, Luxemburg and the Netherlands) AND is not in Sardet et al (Orthoptères de France, Belgique, Luxembourg & Suisse) - which I am guessing is (almost) identical to Grasshoppers of Britain and Western Europe - is Barbistes constrictus.

I haven't had time to check if there are any other species included in Bellmann that are not in Sardet et al - but as Bellman has 163 species and Sardet has 261 (editted: although this does include subspecies) I would surprised if there were many.

The table of the species by country in Bellmann indicates that nothing occurs in the Netherlands that doesn't occur in at least one other country covered by the book.

I prefer the keys in Sardet but that's probably just a personal preference.

Paul
2019 Bellmann covers 284 species, Dutch most recent translation is of that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back