• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Blue Heron red feathers... (1 Viewer)

IDidiot

United States
Hi All,

I've been noticing that the GBH's are starting to get their breeding plumage. I saw many today! At least five along my canal. At first I thought this one was stressessed or being picked on by other birds, but now see that these are really red feathers. Is the amount of brownish red feathers a sign of gender? age? of readiness to breed? I noticed the other herons today didn't have these red/brown areas to such a degree as this individual.

SMW

Attachments

• GBHinjured.jpg
    GBHinjured.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
It's partly a matter of posture - those feathers aren't easily visible from the side, or when the long neck feathers are fluffed, etc. But there is some variability in the vividness of the color and I don't know if it correlates to sex or breeding. Age, yes: immature birds don't get the red patches, as far as I've ever seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back