• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Comparison! (1 Viewer)

Hi Eric,

Talk of 'Little & Large'!

The genetic evidence is that they are not the same species - or if they are, Hawaiian Goose and Barnacle Goose are also part of the same species, too!

Apparently, large Canadas are more closely related to Hawaiians, than they are to small Canadas.

And small Canadas are more closely related to Barnacles, than they are to large Canadas.

Yet despite this, they say large and small Canadas interbreed / intergrade freely where their ranges meet . . .

A real nasty one for the taxonomists to deal with!!

Michael

Another Great Comparison

The smaller ROSS'S GEESE are usually found in small numbers in the very large flocks of SNOW GEESE which migrate through Missouri. They nest up around Hudson's Bay in northern Canada and winter in the southern states. This picture was taken by a friend of mine of the two geese at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri, USA.

Attachments

• Ross's Goose with SN GO.jpg
    Ross's Goose with SN GO.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 187
Apparently, large Canadas are more closely related to Hawaiians, than they are to small Canadas.

And small Canadas are more closely related to Barnacles, than they are to large Canadas.

Do you know whether these genetic findings have been replicated by independent workers Michael. If the conclusions are based on just one study I'd be somewhat sceptical

Spud

With reference to the pic posted by Larry above: isn't the bill on the Ross's rather large and long and displaying an unusually prominent 'grinning patch'. This bird doesn't closely resemble my impressions of Ross's but does show the greyish bill base of that species. Any comments wildfowl people?

Spud

Hi Spud,

Only the one study that I know of (I'll try to dig out the reference if you want it), but I'm sure they're probably working on it

Agreed that bill does look long for Ross's - the ones I've seen (captive) have really short stubby bills, like a Barnacle or Pinkfoot. Does Ross's ever hybridise with Snow?

Michael

Hi Michael,
I believe Ross' and Snow do hybridise,at least occasionally:seem to recall illustrations of hybrid bills in Sibley?
Harry H

Hi Harry,

Right on - I should'ha thought to look there, specially as I've got Sibley out for checking other things at the moment!

And I have to agree, Larry's bird is a good match for Sibley's hybrid pic on structure. With it being a first-winter, I'm somewhat tempted to ask if the bird it is very close to, might be one of its parents??

Michael

I guess I should have looked at the photo a little closer. I think you guys are correct, this smaller goose does indeed look like a Snow X Ross's hybrid.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back