• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Egret, Borneo? (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
I tried to find my older post but can't find it. It seems I didn't ask confirmation ID of this egret before.

Taken last Dec 2020, near lake, inland forest, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo.

My ID was Great Egret but someone telling me recently it should be Intermediate. So I hoping could get some expert confirmation ID. Many thanks.

All 4 photos are one same egret.

resize_PIC-20201215-102322-DSC05965-A7R3.jpg

resize_PIC-20201215-102323-DSC05967-A7R3.jpg

resize_PIC-20201215-102327-DSC05981-A7R3.jpg

In relative reference to Little Egret at the bottom right corner.
PIC-20201215-102322-DSC05964-A7R3.JPG

Last edited:
4. Bottom right is cattle egret (not little egret).

Gape of flying bird extends exactly to rear of eye - but bill size/shape looks like intermediate egret.
Your previous thread >>
Thread 'Great or Intermediate Egret? Borneo' Great or Intermediate Egret? Borneo

Thanks Butty. The previous Thread you mentioned were taken in different location.

I attach here another shot of the same bird with better side view of its bill.
PIC-20201215-102326-DSC05978-A7R3.JPG

In comparison to this shot taken in separate location, this has been confirmed as Great Egret. Its bill looks longer and sharper at the end. Does this indicate and differentiate from Intermediate?
PIC-20201219-110550-DSC07325-A7R3.JPG

Bill of your 'great egret' doesn't look much different, does it? A touch longer maybe. But the gape going way behind the eye identifies it.
Tricky things sometimes, herons.

I think a good feature is that in great egret the bill looks like it's just an extension of the head (top is almost parallel with forehead) whereas in intermediate the bill looks stuck on the front. The original pics look that way so are intemediate. There's a real contrast in that between the two pics in the last post.

in great egret the bill looks like it's just an extension of the head (top is almost parallel with forehead) whereas in intermediate the bill looks stuck on the front
I like this. It's the same sort of difference you get with other big-billed things in a species-pair: cormorant v. shag, Cooper's hawk v. sharp-shinned hawk, etc.; one shows a bill/forehead-angle and one doesn't.
I'll have to try it out and see if it works ;) (y)

Bill of your 'great egret' doesn't look much different, does it? A touch longer maybe. But the gape going way behind the eye identifies it.
Tricky things sometimes, herons.
Thank you Butty. Both bill do look same just as you said, "a touch longer".

I think a good feature is that in great egret the bill looks like it's just an extension of the head (top is almost parallel with forehead) whereas in intermediate the bill looks stuck on the front. The original pics look that way so are intemediate. There's a real contrast in that between the two pics in the last post.
Great explaination Dawsy. Thanks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back