• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great grey shrike in suburban Bromsgrove? Really? (1 Viewer)

Can anyone help shed any light on this?:

My father, who is retired and spends a lot of time at home in Bromsgrove told me of a pair of birds he saw in the garden. He said he'd seen some "shikes". "Shrikes", Mum corrected him. I was immediately sceptical and tried to think what else it could be. Basically, he'd looked through the RSPB book of British birds and that was the only thing that looked anything like what he'd seen.

Dad described them as follows: About the same size as a blackbird, mainly grey with black wings and a black tail. They were quite aggressive and were trying to chase the wood pigeons away.

Could this really be a pair of GGS in a Bromsgrove garden?? I'm struggling to believe they were, but I'm at a loss to think what else it could have been from his description. Any other reports of GGS in Worcestershire?

Can anyone help shed any light on this?:

My father, who is retired and spends a lot of time at home in Bromsgrove told me of a pair of birds he saw in the garden. He said he'd seen some "shikes". "Shrikes", Mum corrected him. I was immediately sceptical and tried to think what else it could be. Basically, he'd looked through the RSPB book of British birds and that was the only thing that looked anything like what he'd seen.

Dad described them as follows: About the same size as a blackbird, mainly grey with black wings and a black tail. They were quite aggressive and were trying to chase the wood pigeons away.

Could this really be a pair of GGS in a Bromsgrove garden?? I'm struggling to believe they were, but I'm at a loss to think what else it could have been from his description. Any other reports of GGS in Worcestershire?

As far as i am aware, there are no GGS in Worcs at all this winter, and very few in the wider WMBC area, there are a few birders in Bromsgrove, so may be worth passing on the info so someone can check it out, but two together sounds very unlikely
MB

It's been a poor winter for Great Grey Shrikes and only three are known to be wintering in the Midlands: singles in Derbys, Staffs and Oxon.

They are usually solitary during the winter months so for two be present in a suburban garden seems highly unlikely.

From the description of behaviour, they sound more like Magpies. They are described as black and grey but no mention of white in the plumage?

Brian

I had someone describe something similar recently that they thought was G G Shrike, turned out to be a Fieldfares. Possible in this case?

Phil

I'm sure my father would recognise magpies. He's au fait with most common birds, but this was something he didn't recognise. He was also adamant on the size - about the same as a blackbird.

I'm sure my father would recognise magpies. He's au fait with most common birds, but this was something he didn't recognise. He was also adamant on the size - about the same as a blackbird.

Size wise sounds too small for Magpies but struggling to think of anything else chasing off Woodpigeons. Can't imagine shrikes bothering to do that.
I guess they could have been some escaped species from captivity maybe.

Brian

I had someone describe something similar recently that they thought was G G Shrike, turned out to be a Fieldfares. Possible in this case?

Phil

Fieldfares certainly do confuse people when they turn up in gardens during cold snaps. When I was county recorder, one lady was certain she had seen a Black-throated Thrush in her garden. When I asked for a picture it was a well marked Fieldfare.

And they are of course aggressive to other birds when defending fruit and berries.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back