• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Norther Diver/Common Loon? (England) (1 Viewer)

UKBirder23

I was on holiday in Cornwall (UK) over the last few days, and I spotted this diver in the Mevagissey harbour. I've never seen a diver before, but I'm pretty certain it's a Great Northern Diver (that's Common Loon for any Americans reading this) in winter plumage, but I wanted confirmation that it is a Great Northern, and not a Black-Throated. The heavy bill and the black collar seem to be good signs but I just want to check. Thank you!
p.s. Sorry for the very grainy quality, he was a distance away and very difficult to photograph because he was, true to his name, diving!

Attachments

• P1010029 (2).JPG
    P1010029 (2).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 74
  • P1010022 (2).JPG
    P1010022 (2).JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 28
Thank you all for your speedy replies, greatly appreciated! As I mentioned, any diver would have been a new bird for me, but a Great Northern was the one I'd set my heart on seeing!
Also saw a second one in Falmouth--didn't get a photo but it was identical so that's two Great Northerns. Added Turnstones and Fulmars to my life list as well, what a holiday!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your speedy replies, greatly appreciated! As I mentioned, any diver would have been a new bird for me, but a Great Northern was the one I'd set my heart on seeing!
Also saw a second one in Falmouth--didn't get a photo but it was identical so that's two Great Northerns. Added Turnstones and Fulmars to my life list as well, what a holiday!

Whereas in most of North America, most birders are quite happy to have a loon other than GND/COLO.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back