• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Great or lesser black-backed gull? (1 Viewer)

gkamov

Bulgarian birder
Bulgaria
Hi there,

A couple of days ago I observed two gulls on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. There have been reports of an active migration of lesser black-backed gull, but this one on the video seemed larger than the usual herring / yellow-legged gull as it flew pretty close to where I was standing.

I couldn't snap good photos, so I only have a video clip (YouTube link). Is there a way to tell if it's a lesser or a great one?

Thanks!

Last edited:

lou salomon

the birdonist
could you please also post some photos, even if they are bad? this doesn't look like a GBBG, but could be a heuglin's gull. sadly, not confirmable from this video, i guess. it's a bit early for heuglini, maybe.

gkamov

Bulgarian birder
Bulgaria
could you please also post some photos, even if they are bad? this doesn't look like a GBBG, but could be a heuglin's gull. sadly, not confirmable from this video, i guess. it's a bit early for heuglini, maybe.

The best I could do is combine screenshots from the video where key markings might be seen... or not :)

Attachments

• 123 2.jpg
    123 2.jpg
    854.2 KB · Views: 58

lou salomon

the birdonist
was it paler mantled than a baltic gull? can't exclude that one either. and it would be the default black mantled gull in bulgaria with a present strong migration along coast.

gkamov

Bulgarian birder
Bulgaria
Don’t think so - the top of the wings seemed pretty dark. Other birders have reported lesser black-backs in the last week or two here, so it’s most probably that one.

Users who are viewing this thread