• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Ryburgh (1 Viewer)

mickbe74

Hiya all,could anyone help me with directions to the Honey Buzzard watchpoint,a postcode or road name would be great as i will be using a satnav,any general info would also be greatly appreciated,thankyou
Michael

The Wensum Valley Watch point is in Gatley not Gt Rybrough. Comming north west on the from Norwich - Fakenham road , turn left at Stibard cross roads ( 2 miles after Guist clock tower ) , cross the river and turn left at the church and again left after 1 mile . Continue until you get a disused railway bridge. 1\4 mile further on you will come to a concrete pad and that will be the new car park for the watchpoint. Follow the roped fence up the hill and the viewing popint is at the top the same place as in the past. The watchpoint should be open at the end of next week until early September.

The honey buzzards are about a month away yet.

I'm there over the weekend 21st-23rd May. What chance have we got around that time?? Will they be back then???

Cheers

Phil

Phil , the honey buzzards should be back around the time Stu suggests , but in the past couple of years the Swanton Novers Watch point has provided more sightings and frequently closer ones. Though I have a sneeking suspision this could change this year. This Saterday was very good for raptors with birds being in in the air most of the afternoon. The cold winds and cloud of the remainder of the weekend greatly reduced sightings.

Given the choice I would look for honey buzzards between 9.30 and 1.30 , but there are no hard and fast rules and much will depend on the weather.

Further to Stu's comments, I'm planning to visit the area this Sunday 23rd May. Could anyone indicate if any birds have arrived yet and which watchpoint is looking a better bet so far this year?

As yet there are no confirmed sightings of honey buzzards at ether watch points. Lots of very iffy sightings from some people ! I have spent a lot of time looking and so have my vol wardens , but we have seen nothing yet. I am hoping like a lot of other things this year its just the late spring delaying the birds.

I would suggest visitors not familiar with raptors swat up their buzzard ID before visiting. I have had some claim honey because " it looked bigger than the other buzzards " " it had flat wings " and one excited birder described the great views he had of displaying honeys "as birds diving up and down like a big dipper" (classic common buzzard display ).

In the past week from the watchpoints quail , 3 ospreys , monties , up to 6 hobby , several marsh harrier and loads of common buzzard , sparrowhawks and kestrels. And the odd gos. Barnacle goose yesterday at the Wensum Valley Watch point.

Thanks Tideliner. I think I'll still drop by on the off chance on Sunday as there's been a few HB reports from London these last couple of weeks.

I did get very excited at Swanton Novers a few years ago when I saw a distant buzzard gliding on flat wings, but, having observed a lot more buzzards and a few honey buzzards since then, I'm pretty sure it was a case of wishful thinking.

No confirmed sightings of Honey buzzards yet this year , by myself or vol wardens. Starting to get a bit worried they might not turn up this year. 4 cranes at the Wensum valley watchpoint today ( 2 yesterday ).

I hope no-one minds me bumping this thread, but I am intending to go to Swanton or Rhyburgh the next weather-suitable weekend day. However, I have noticed that the Bird Information services have reported almost no sightings from either viewpoint this year in contrast to most years.

Is this because the wretched birds haven't turned up, or because they info services have decided that everyone knows about them and aren't bothering?

Also, I've never been to Rhyburgh viewpoint. How accessible is it for a wheelchair user who intends to accompany me? I know that Swanton is OK, but what about Rhyburgh?

Though a couple of sightings have been reported from the area as warden nether I nor any of my vol warden staff have seen any honey buzzards at the Wensum Valley nor the Swanton Novers Watchpoint this year , despite several hundred hours of watching.

The Wensum Valley Watch point is not suitable for wheelchair access though more limited views can be had from the gateway across the road from the new car park. ( before we opened the watch points it was my favoured viewing point as you are a lot closer to the birds.)

In the last few days several red Kites , up to 8 common buzzards , hobby , goshawk , sparrowhawk , kestrel ,harris hawk , barn and little owls have been seen from the watch points

Interesting there was a report from south of Hempton on friday 11th June, only 2-3 miles from Gt Ryburgh watchpoint ? Maybe they've moved ?

Very good views of a honey buzzard at the Swanton Novers Watch Point this morning , plus hobby and the firat juvenile common buzzards just taking to the air, A honey buzzard was also reported from the Wensum Valley watch point this afternoon , long with a red kite and common buzzards.

At the moment all sighting apear to be of a pale , but well barred indivdual. I would be very interested if anyone sees one of another colour phase or 2 birds togeather. If away from the reconised watch points please do not post on an open forum , but PM me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back