• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great-tailed or Carib Grackle (1 Viewer)

Oscar0906

Hi,

Can someone help me identify this bird I saw in Aruba recently. I have trouble differentiating between carib- and great-tailed Grackle.
Thanks for the help!

OscarSAM_3150.JPG

Great-tailed grackle is said to be a rarity - so, if you've seen more than a couple of these . . .
And its tail doesn't look particularly huge/weird, nor its bill particularly murderous.

Suggest Carib just because tail looks short. (Dunno about "murderous": don't all grackles look +/- like that?)

Great-tailed grackle is said to be a rarity - so, if you've seen more than a couple of these . . .
And its tail doesn't look particularly huge/weird, nor its bill particularly murderous.
This seems to be wrong regarding the frequency. Compare

One is 2-5 birds per observer-hour with the other around 20, so definitely higher probability for CaGr but not that the other is a rarity.

Looking at images, carib grackle seems more variable (especially in bill size) than I imagined, I have not visited all the areas they live. I am therefore undecided on the id.

See for example this image which reports to be one from Aruba: Carib Grackle

Niels

There is no 'should be' in such things. Nor is there even, in this case, what could be called a consensus. The OP has given her/his (perfectly valid and unanswerable) reason for preferring one ID, and that's where we should leave it.

Exactly, I started this thread hoping to hear clear arguments for the one or the other.
You provided me with aruments and counter-arguments but no consensus.

Exactly, I started this thread hoping to hear clear arguments for the one or the other.
You provided me with aruments and counter-arguments but no consensus.
It's entirely your choice of course, but I didn't see any clear arguments in favour of great-tailed.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back