• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

great tit and chicks (1 Viewer)

jacquelina

hi all, hope someone can help am new to all this, and birds in general but I have a bird box in my garden, and a great tit laid eggs for the 1st time, then today my partner noticed the birds hadn't been all day and we grew concerned so he peeped in the box and saw 2 dead chicks at the front, he said he had to clean it out as the birds wont come back, when he opened it, it was 4 dead chicks with feather and 2 unhatched eggs, I was so upset I don't know what has happened, can anyone give me any clue or idea has to what could have happened, it has put me off having a bird box now as I wouldn't want to see this happen again, was so looking forward to the chicks hatching and an happy ending, sadly it wasn't to be.

Last edited:

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I had this problem in 2018 after a successful year in 2017 I was excited when The Great Tits returned. They managed to get 4 chicks and they went away for a long time too and each day one of the chicks died, sadly they all died the parents did come but that Spring was really dry we hadn't had rain for weeks even the grass was turning brown so my guess was the parents were having difficulty finding the correct juicy food for the chicks and were away for a long period of time. I'm assuming you haven't had much rain were you live recently? Don't be put off by what's happened they maybe be successful next year. My Great Tits haven't nested in the box since but they sometimes use it to roost in the autumn and winter. It's best to clear out your Nestbox now and hopefully it be better next time. Hope that helps and Welcome to the forum.

jacquelina

hi thanks for your reply, it has been dry we have no rain for weeks so you could be right, the box is cleared out already as a few flies were around it, so disappointing I feel so sorry for the great tits, I am upset by it, i will have to accept it as part of nature and hopefully they will come back next year, if not other birds.

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
hi thanks for your reply, it has been dry we have no rain for weeks so you could be right, the box is cleared out already as a few flies were around it, so disappointing I feel so sorry for the great tits, I am upset by it, i will have to accept it as part of nature and hopefully they will come back next year, if not other birds.

Yes I was upset by it too I loved watching them grow up, they used the Camera Nestbox so I was able to witness it all. I'm gutted they haven't come back to nest in it again.

jacquelina

Could it be some of the chicks made it and the weak ones never or what was in the nest is that likely to be the lot? Thinking about camera in nest box for next time I have to check it out, not sure how at the minute.

Users who are viewing this thread