• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great unexpected bird outing (1 Viewer)

AGPank

I returned home to Craig Colorado last month. On our first day back I took my son down to the Yampa River hoping to see the otters that were there earlier in the year that my mom told me about.
This short morning adventure turned into a productive bird outing not long after getting out of the car.
We immediately spotted a great blue heron hunting on the waters edge of Loudy Simpson Park. That was followed by:
  • a pair of osprey that were fishing. They were also gathering sticks for a nest they were building nearby
  • red winged blackbirds - I had forgotten how beautiful their song was
  • a red tailed hawk circled the nearby pastures and was being harassed by a Kestrel
  • pelicans
  • Canadian geese
  • Sandhills cranes
  • mallards
  • common merganser
  • ruddy duck
Later in the trip we saw several bald eagles, one nesting above the river.
This was a short trip to visit family, and if you haven’t been to the Yampa Valley of Colorado there are many great sights to see.
Recently Southwest Airlines began year round flights to the Steamboat Springs / Hayden airport which makes accessing the area 200 miles west of Denver much more feasible.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back