• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater or lesser scaup? (1 Viewer)

orientaldkf

Hi all, both birds were taken in november, first bird was taken along a relatively sheltered coastal area in California while the second was taken in an inland marsh in Indiana. Am guessing Greater for the first and Lesser for the second but not quite sure as the birds are quite far away.

Photos are not too great but would be thankful for any help!

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 10.01.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 10.01.23 PM.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 180
Agree on Greater for the first; the second I'd leave as unidentifiable (tho' Lesser is statistically more likely in that habitat).

Agree with Greater for the first bird. The second one looks to me most like a female Canvasback, based on the shape of the bill and the profile of the head.

For the second bird it is hard to be sure of anything from this photo, but I incline toward Redhead. The profile seems to me better for Redhead than Canvasback, and I think a Canvasback would have (as the name implies) a paler back.

The second bird is either a female Redhead or Ring-necked for me... can't be sure which though from just that photo. Canvasback does not show the dark back of the pictured bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back