• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Grebe Id from Iran (1 Viewer)

Shahrzad

Iran
I couldn't identify the exact species, I would like to know your opinion about this bird.
Thanks in advanced.

Seen: 15 Feb. 2021 / 35.462288, 51.519291

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73

Alexander Stöhr

Hello,
its a Great Crested Grebe imo.
The same like the Duck before: hard picture with details are lost due to haze and grainy picture.
Bird is facing/looking away, resulting in a slightly wrong looking bill shape.

Neck seems to long and slender for a BN-Grebe or Slavonian Grebe. I must admit that bill shape might suggest BN-Grebe, and round body looks better for a BN-Grebe, too, but imo its just a single-picture effect (represting just a fraction of a second).

With a little bit of guessing, I see the right tufts of a breeding plumage GCG and the right white area at the chin resulting in a good looking head-pattern for a GCG. Unbroken white front of neck seems good for a GCG, too, but after a second look it seems an jpeg/sharpening artefact to me.
More, relative size of neck and head in relation to body seems best for a GCG imo.

For a similar body shape of a GCG (in a single.picture effect look here: https://www.fotoalbum.naturerlebnis-chiemsee.de/picture.php?/6598/category/285

Forgot the most important thing here: its a bird for quiz-modus (or others to jump in)

Users who are viewing this thread