• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greece-Vagrant Pipit- 3/10/2010 (1 Viewer)

Dimitris

Birdwatcher in Oz
Hey folks,

An acquaintance of mine took these images on said date. It doesn't look like Tawny and so far it is believed to be a Richard's Pipit. However, the apparently dainty structure and rather heavily patterned back have made us think of other rarer possibilities.

These are the only 2 images of the bird and they are posted with the photographers permission.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers and thanks.

D.

Attachments

• Interesting Pipit 2.jpg
    Interesting Pipit 2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 245
  • Interesting Pipit.jpg
    Interesting Pipit.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Vaguely remember reading that hindclaw length or curveture can seperate Blyth's from Richards? Can't remember exactly what the difference is though or whether it's a good feature

http://www.google.de/imgres?hl=de&c...w=216&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:76 this one shows a similar richard's pipit (shortish bill, pointed bill, shorter neck etc. than usual richardii) - given away by its newly moulted triangular centered 2nd gen. median coverts (see comments, peter adriaens).

but in the crete pipit most things to me look much better for godlewskii:
- short hindclaw!
- stouter overall structure
- shortish bill, but culmen pretty curved downwards
- rel. evenly streaked mantle (of what we see; a feature mentioned in van duivendijk's bible)

35 pics of blyth's here: http://www.google.de/imgres?hl=de&c...180&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0,i:113

well, i'm not experienced with this species pair, it was just a trial. blyth's for me on "first" view.

Can't add anything to the ID, though I agree that it looks too 'dainty' for Richard's Pipit, but it's amazing how different the bills look on these two photos

I agree that these two images suggest Blyth's Pipit rather than Richard's, though the white belly looks a bit problematic to me.
It would be good to see more photographs of this bird, especially some showing details of the outer tail feathers and some of the other side of the bird (to check if some median coverts have been moulted there). Also, did anyone hear this bird call?

Without further information, I doubt that we can say anything conclusive here - unless someone is feeling particularly confident today?

I initially saw Blyth's qualities in these photos. But on closer examination I noted:

-supercilium extending far behind eye
-mantle "tramlines" not distinct
-median coverts. At least two show an attenuated pointed tip, and perhaps a third.
-thickness of bill. I'd expect a Blyth's bill to be thinner and daintier than this...

These pro-Richard's features are convincing me that it is a Richard's. And I'd like to say a 1st Winter.

(Watching 2 young Ravens yesterday, I was struck by how adult they looked. But the shortness of their beaks gave them away. I wonder, could a 1st Winter Richard's in early October still have bill-length to grow out?)

phil,

all the things you mention can be refuted, imo:

1. supercillium behind eye: this was among the things that struck me first and made me worry. then i found several pics of blyth's with strong supers on OBC images, like these:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/images/data/bpipit99f_filtered.jpg

http://orientalbirdimages.org/images/data/bpipit99b.jpg

2. tramlines are rather distinct (both pics). don't know how much weight this has though.

3. median coverts: all median coverts show an attenuated tip since it is a 1cy (i think, no moult contrast). both juvenile richard's and blyth's have attenuated centered MCs.

4. bill looks thick in the 2nd pic while it doesn't in the first.
and e.g. this bird doesn't look weak billed and is a blyth's: http://orientalbirdimages.org/images/data/sultanpuranthusgodlewskii5.jpg

.....:smoke::smoke::smoke:

IMHO the exposure is exaggerating the pattern of the median coverts - if you tone down the highlights, they look less prominently white-tipped (see attached). I, too think the bill is too thick for a Blyth's Pipit, but as Peter (Smiths) says maybe we shouldn't say, but without other evidence I think it sensible to go with the more likely option rather than shoe-horn a rarer species in.

Brian S

Attachments

• Interesting Pipit.jpg
    Interesting Pipit.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 102
what about the short hindclaw? to me this is the feature that gives the strongest weight towards godlewskii. nevertheless i'm not saying it is one.
can we exclude a 2cy+ bird? if this is an older ind., MC pattern certainly would strongly indicate richardii.

what about the short hindclaw? to me this is the feature that gives the strongest weight towards godlewskii. nevertheless i'm not saying it is one.

Lou

I don't necessarily see a short hindclaw. Again a sub-optimal photo, in which the slight softness is hiding the exact length; if I sharpen the second image the hindclaw appear long and straight, the legs look long and strong.

Brian S

Lou

I don't necessarily see a short hindclaw. Again a sub-optimal photo, in which the slight softness is hiding the exact length; if I sharpen the second image the hindclaw appear long and straight, the legs look long and strong.

Brian S

I would agree with Brian on this. The softness and intensity of lighting is hiding the true length of the hindclaw imo.

It is hard to judge. But I have attached two images (merely rough estimates of where I think the hindclaw tips lie. The 2nd image I have drastically altered the contrast and brightness to try and assess this)

I stress estimate. But if you look at the darkened 2nd image of the pipits feet, it does seem as if near claw-curvature continues on a significant distance.

Richards for me.

Owen

Attachments

• Interesting Pipit (1).jpg
    Interesting Pipit (1).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Interesting Pipit feet.jpg
    Interesting Pipit feet.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back