• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Green Listing 2021 - Joint thread (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
At last, the Honey buzzards have arrived. Several hundred this morning. I have put it on the list, though I didn't check if it was already there!!

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
Looking forward to them arriving here soon then Gerald. If you type Control plus f a box appears top right of the spreadsheet and you can type in honey buzzard, it immediately shows if it’s already on the sheet ( apologies if you know this already!!).

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
I expect my first Honey Buzzard on Saturday or Sunday, when the forecast is actual southerly wind – for the first time since the 4th of March (!)

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
I had hoped for something interesting after the second day of storm and rain: indeed there was a Dunlin on my local patch this evening.
Not an annual occurrence.

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
I've had Honey Buzzards in my garden all year. No, wait, those are House Sparrows
A visit to the optician needed I suspect...
All being well with weather (and my knee) I shall try and walk from home up to the ski resort next week to try and add a few new species to the Europe/World list, Citril Finch and Red-billed Chough hopefully ( though maybe the Chough has already been seen?).

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter

My Red-backed Shrike was new for the world list today. I had to work hard for a really late first Reed Warbler.

Colin Conroy

Colin Conroy
My hardest day yet today - cycled over 40 miles but with several detours where I got lost and a long section where I had to push, then carry the bike along a very muddy "by-way open for all vehicles" (and ended up having to take the wheels off twice to clean enough mud ou to allow the wheels to keep turning) - thankfully this last 'adventure happened on the way home otherwise I would have given up and gone home before getting to my destination - Where I added two new species to my year list - Corn Bunting and Yellow Wagtail. Had lots of other birds of course (including looooads of Yellowhammers (which is not an everyday occurrence here these days)) but nothing else new for my NMT (Green) list. I'm now on 138.
It looks like Corn Bunting is new for the UK list but neither of them are for the world

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
You’ll be fit enough to join the Royal Marines soon Colin, just in case you get called up if our respective countries start hostilities over Whelks etc😉
Just one more for me, five Common Swift seen from the house, my earliest ever by a good eight days for here (they were presumably passing through as it’s usually the end of the month before they return to the village nearby).

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
a long section where I had to push, then carry the bike along a very muddy "by-way open for all vehicles" (and ended up having to take the wheels off twice to clean enough mud ou to allow the wheels to keep turning)
And I complain about muddy tracks in the local woods. Luckily it is mostly flat where I live with plenty of cycle tracks (it's not the Netherlands, but it's not bad).
My bike needs to be seen to though because it's gears and chain are messed up. I keep on postponing this because I can still manage... I really need a 2nd bike, but that's impossible to buy at the moment (and I cannot go and get one parked at my brother's house either, because of travel restrictions).

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
Possibly my final "easy" addition to the world list today with my first Marsh Warbler. I am afraid everything else I can contribute will be a massive bonus!

As long as there is a curfew, Nightjar may be tricky (just about doable from my home if they start early...)

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
Possibly my final "easy" addition to the world list today with my first Marsh Warbler. I am afraid everything else I can contribute will be a massive bonus!

As long as there is a curfew, Nightjar may be tricky (just about doable from my home if they start early...)
Golden Oriole today. That's always a nice surprise on my local patch as they occur about once a year. This morning was exceptional: I heard one and saw another – another observer even heard a third bird simultaneously!

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Ooh looks like I've missed this thread. Well better late than never I guess. The following have all been seen on foot in my home area, i.e. the communal garden and pond of our living community.

2 January
1. Rock Dove
2. Eurasian Magpie
3. Common Chiffchaff
4. European Robin
5. Common Chaffinch
6 January
6. Eurasian Jay
7. Redwing
8. Song Thrush
9. Eurasian Siskin
10. Great Tit
11. Common Blackbird
12. Common Firecrest
13. Sardinian Warbler
14. Common Linnet
15. European Starling
16. Eurasian Collared Dove
17. Long-tailed Tit
18. Grey Heron
19. Eurasian Tree Sparrow
20. Yellowhammer
7 January
21. House Sparrow
22. Western Jackdaw
23. European Goldfinch
24. Eurasian Sparrowhawk
25. Rock Sparrow
26. Crested Lark
27. Eurasian Wren
28. Eurasian Blue Tit
9 January
29. Coal Tit
30. Long-legged Buzzard
31. Grey Wagtail
32. Rook
33. European Serin
34. Common Kestrel
18 January
35. Goldcrest
21 January
36. European Greenfinch
37. Water Rail
38. Syrian Woodpecker
24 January
39. Hooded Crow
31 January
40. Black Redstart
5 February
41. White Wagtail
42. Black-headed Gull
7 February
43. Eastern Imperial Eagle
44. Dunnock
10 February
45. Northern Goshawk
20 February
46. Rock Bunting
22 February
47. Eurasian Marsh Harrier
12 March
48. Cetti's Warbler
21 March
49. Long-eared Owl
27 March
50. Spotted Crake
1 April
51. Common Swift
52. Black-crowned Night Heron
6 April
53. Little Owl
54. Common Nightingale
55. Collared Flycatcher
56. Lesser Whitethroat
57. Eurasian Blackcap
58. European Pied Flycatcher
8 April
59. Semicollared Flycatcher
60. Lesser Spotted Eagle
61. Booted Eagle
62. Eurasian Reed Warbler
63. Sedge Warbler
10 April
64. Common Redstart
65. Eurasian Hoopoe
66. Eurasian Wryneck
67. Common House Martin
14 April
68. Barn Swallow
69. Black Kite
70. Common Buzzard
71. Willow Warbler
17 April
72. Common Moorhen
21 April
73. Common Cuckoo
74. Eurasian Scops Owl
24 April
75. Savi's Warbler
76. Tree Pipit
25 April
77. Eurasian Hobby
27 April
78. Red-backed Shrike
79. Garden Warbler
80. European Honey Buzzard
81. Lesser Kestrel
82. Levant Sparrowhawk
83. Short-toed Snake Eagle
84. Mallard
85. Great Reed Warbler
28 April
86. White Stork
29 April
87. European Bee-eater
30 April
88. Red-rumped Swallow
1 May
89. Eurasian Golden Oriole
2 May
90. Spotted Flycatcher
91. Common Whitethroat
6 May
92. Northern Lapwing
93. Little Bittern
94. Marsh Warbler
95. Woodchat Shrike
8 May
96. Eastern Olivaceous Warbler
9 May
97. Thrush Nightingale
14 May
98. Red-throated Pipit

Last edited:

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Regarding the spreadsheet, should I add these to "Europe"? Also if a species is already present on the spreadsheet but the first sighting is on a later date, are these supposed to be edited?

Swindon Addick

Supporter
Wales
Regarding the spreadsheet, should I add these to "Europe"? Also if a species is already present on the spreadsheet but the first sighting is on a later date, are these supposed to be edited?
I've just created an Asia tab, if you'd prefer to use that. But no harm if you prefer to use the Europe one. Either way, stick you user name at the top of a column on one of the tabs and add your records.

We've been doing the global list in the order that species get reported on here, rather than strictly the order they're seen, because it would make for a huge amount of work for someone adding a lot of species. So we're more interested in the ones that no-one else has seen yet. So it isn't necessary to change the dates on species that are already on the list, although I don't think anyone will object if you do.

Colin Conroy

Colin Conroy
Three more NMT birds today - Little Tern, Common Swift and Wood Sandpiper. The tern and the sandpiper seem to be new for the UK list so I've added them. It's now on 167. My own list is on 141

Users who are viewing this thread