• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2021 - Joint thread (1 Viewer)

I've updated my list, bringing my personal list up to 130, and the North American list up to 131
This makes us 308 worldwide unless anyone can see an error in the spreadsheet. And we have our first benefit from having chosen to use the IOC world list - we already had Eurasian Teal but can count connorco's Green-winged Teal as separate.

A very belated year-tick from me without changing the UK total:
23rd Jan
32 Starling

Well I'm now based in a decidedly colder and less birdy environ, but beautiful all the same and seemingly more orderly (remains to be seen if that is net positive or negative, hah!). And my lord is it lovely to be back to European bread, cheese, and wine! As we are getting settled I've not done a ton of birding but have squeezed in some walks, and if I rule out destinations I got to by train and tramcar I think I can add these species to the spreadsheet. Location is in and around Zürich.

Short-toed Treecreeper
Brambling
Yellow-legged Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Middle Spotted Woodpecker

If my Switzerland country list ever surpasses my Buenos Aires city list I'll be pleased, hah!

Cheers,
Josh

A run of weekends recently when the weather really hasn't encouraged walking anywhere, but a quick wander round the park caught up with one of the missing species that had really been annoying me. No change in the UK or worldwide totals, of course.

20 Feb
33 Chaffinch

Link to Dan's spreadsheet to save people scrolling back to where it was first posted:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...k6l70UVaE6-7hJoa_FGKGkrqY/edit#gid=1676269895

I'm still getting out for 2-3-4 walks in the woods / week, and have a couple more that I don't think are on the list yet:
Black Woodpecker
Hawfinch

I will theoretically have my bike back in a week or two and will start to be able to get to a lot more birds w/o train or tram!

Running totals from the spreadsheet: Worldwide 314, USA 130, UK 99, Argentina 83, France 40, Canada 25, Switzerland 7.

Minor additions to my list, 27 & 28 Feb:
34 Wren
35 Collared Dove (my first since last summer, and the first in my local park since June!)

Spoonbill is a good one Colin, I don't think that's on the list so far, it would be good if you get a minute to join in on the spreadsheet, hint hint (I think you've the only Jack Snipe spotted so far too). I have just updated so France is on a whopping (!) 53 now, three were new for the combined World total:
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Lammergeier
Nutcracker
I saw a Hazel Grouse on Saturday after hiking 2km up a track where I've seen them before, but we'd driven 5km to the start of the walk so that's definitely not 'green' enough:(

Spoonbill is a good one Colin, I don't think that's on the list so far, it would be good if you get a minute to join in on the spreadsheet, hint hint (I think you've the only Jack Snipe spotted so far too). I have just updated so France is on a whopping (!) 53 now, three were new for the combined World total:
Lammergeier
Nutcracker
I saw a Hazel Grouse on Saturday after hiking 2km up a track where I've seen them before, but we'd driven 5km to the start of the walk so that's definitely not 'green' enough:(
Thanks Rich - I will do that. I love that you've got a Leonard Cohen quote (from 'The Story of Isaac') as part of your signature - you don't have the next couple of lines though "...cos I'd left my bins behind me, at the bottom of the mountain, so couldn't see it well"

I've started a joint list spreadsheet as promised ...

It's free to edit (please don't alter the formatting/delete it all etc (!), although if anyone gets the urge to 'tidy' the main list feel free). I've added the UK lists too (bottom left hand corner tab) for comparison purposes.

Looks like we're on 147 with 4 participants on day 2 ... good going ;-) Wonder what a target would be if more people/locations join?!
Hi Dan,
I'd like to add my list to the spreadsheet as well. What's the drill? Do I just add a new column on the UK list and copy my list in? I think I might have a couple of species that haven't yet been seen by anyone (on the green list anyway) - Jack Snipe and Eurasian Spoonbill (at least according to Rich Prior). What do I need to do with them?
Cheers
Colin

Lammergeier
Nutcracker
Hi again,
so I think I've had 9 birds that no-one else has yet had (or at least not added to the list), for the world - Snow Bunting, Spotted Redshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Purple Sandpiper, Greater White-fronted Goose (Russian), Eurasian Spoonbill, Pied Avocet, European Shag and Jack Snipe. I might have got this wrong though and haven't added them to the global list (i have added a column on the UK list though with my list so far in it

Hi again,
so I think I've had 9 birds that no-one else has yet had (or at least not added to the list), for the world - Snow Bunting, Spotted Redshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Purple Sandpiper, Greater White-fronted Goose (Russian), Eurasian Spoonbill, Pied Avocet, European Shag and Jack Snipe. I might have got this wrong though and haven't added them to the global list (i have added a column on the UK list though with my list so far in it
There are several people who update the spreadsheet from time to time, either just their own records or catching up other people's. If you put your sightings on the spreadsheet in your own column (and ideally post here so people know to look for them), someone else will add them to the UK list and the worldwide list at some point. Or you can add them to the bottom of the lists yourself (as a tip, the easiest way to check if a species has been added already is to use ctrl-F and search for a distinctive word like "snipe" or "purple"; if your sighting is the only one that turns up, or if all mentions of "snipe" are common not jack, then you've got a new species.)

There are several people who update the spreadsheet from time to time, either just their own records or catching up other people's. If you put your sightings on the spreadsheet in your own column (and ideally post here so people know to look for them), someone else will add them to the UK list and the worldwide list at some point. Or you can add them to the bottom of the lists yourself (as a tip, the easiest way to check if a species has been added already is to use ctrl-F and search for a distinctive word like "snipe" or "purple"; if your sighting is the only one that turns up, or if all mentions of "snipe" are common not jack, then you've got a new species.)
Thanks for this

Good stuff, Colin, nearly reached the ton then! I really must get the old bike roadworthy so I can go a bit further afield, trouble is, it's a ladies' 'town' bike so not really the best sort for around here!
Just two more for me, Goldcrest in the forest last Wednesday and Common Treecreeper yesterday so up to 55 now.

UK now up to 117, which is partly Colin's additions and partly I found 3 species which someone had added to the world list as seen in the UK on 10 Jan but hadn't put on the UK list. World list 330. We need some people from other countries, and we need the spring migrants to start showing up!

64 species for me at home or on foot from home this year - but only recently started leaving the garden recently:-
Black-headed Gull
Canada Goose
Carrion Crow
Cetti's Warbler
Coal Tit
Collared Dove
Common Buzzard
Common Chaffinch
Common Chiffchaff
Common Gull
Common Linnet
Common Magpie
Common Moorhen
Common Raven
Common Redshank
Common Shelduck
Common Snipe
Common Starling
Common Woodpigeon
Dunlin
Dunnock
Eurasian Blackbird
Eurasian Blue Tit
Eurasian Curlew
Eurasian Jackdaw
Eurasian Jay
Eurasian Oystercatcher
Eurasian Skylark
Eurasian Sparrowhawk
Eurasian Wigeon
Eurasian Wren
Eurasian/Green-winged Teal
European Goldfinch
European Greenfinch
European Robin
European Stonechat
Fieldfare
Goosander
Great Black-backed Gull
Great Cormorant
Great Tit
Grey Heron
Grey Plover
Grey Wagtail
Herring Gull
House Sparrow
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Little Egret
Long-tailed Tit
Mallard
Meadow Pipit
Mediterranean Gull
Mute Swan
Northern Lapwing
Northern Shoveler
Peregrine Falcon
Pied Wagtail/White Wagtail
Red Kite
Redwing
Rock Dove
Rock Pipit
Rook
Song Thrush
Stock Dove

I believe that Cetti's Warbler and Mediterranean Gull may be UK additions?

All the best

Paul

Aren't Green-winged and Eurasian Teal split now (at least according to IOC)? I'm hoping to get one on Saturday at my local RSPB reserve (along with American Wigeon) - hopefully they'll both hang about until then

Aren't Green-winged and Eurasian Teal split now (at least according to IOC)? I'm hoping to get one on Saturday at my local RSPB reserve (along with American Wigeon) - hopefully they'll both hang about until then
Yes, Green-winged and Eurasian Teal are 2 species for IOC lists. Green-winged would be new for the UK list but not for the world one as we had one from the USA in January.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back