• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2021 - Joint thread (1 Viewer)

Knot for me yesterday moved me along to 73 (of a patch yearlist that has climbed to 89). I see already on the UK list. Resisted the urge to undertake walks to target specific species so far. A bit crowded around the house at weekends so as with today, I suspect tomorrow I'll be on a bit of my patch which I haven't walked to from home.

All the best

Paul

I have 49 from here South-East Finland. I have cycled for two days and walked rest of the days (not every day thought). I think the list includes all the other species I had seen, except Gadwall and Slaty-backed Gull.

I have 49 from here South-East Finland. I have cycled for two days and walked rest of the days (not every day thought). I think the list includes all the other species I had seen, except Gadwall and Slaty-backed Gull.
Ooh Wari, the Slaty-backed Gull must be in the gold medal position for the ‘Rarest bird on the 2021 Green List thread’!

Yes, it was "once in a life time"-situation. So, even I don't usually cycling when there is ice and snow on roads, I have to do it at this time.😁
As the English poet Dryden wrote " None but the brave deserve the fair", well done you!

One more from me, Ring Ousel added for Europe and the World List, two males feeding down in the valley yesterday.
Gadwall was already on the list from our German team!

Last edited:
Yay, number 110 - while I was technically at work this afternoon, on my local nature reserve/patch. I would have missed it if the non-birder I was with hadn't said "What's that in that abandoned shopping trolley down in the beck [beck=a small stream, here in the north of England]?" I was a Water Rail (thankfully not trapped in the trolley). It ran away into the reeds and a second later another one came from a different direction and ran off to join the first

Clearly off it's trolley then (or the trolley was off the Rails......). Three more Green ticks for me today, two were year ticks as well, a Dunnock singing feebly at dawn (but hiding well) and a migrating Marsh Harrier late afternoon. A few Black Redstart winter not far away but at lower altitude so the two males that turned up this morning may not have come far after their winter holidays. Ah, holidays, remember them?

Yes, it was "once in a life time"-situation. So, even I don't usually cycling when there is ice and snow on roads, I have to do it at this time.😁
Terve Warixenjalka, I am disappointed that you don't usually do this!
I was impressed by the cyclists in Oulu, continuing to cycle (usually without helmets) in winter. As a Dutchman, I felt an immediate connection.
I finally had a chance to do some snow-and-ice-cycling again this year, but unfortunately without Slaty-backed Gull as the target.

Terve Warixenjalka, I am disappointed that you don't usually do this!
I was impressed by the cyclists in Oulu, continuing to cycle (usually without helmets) in winter. As a Dutchman, I felt an immediate connection.
I finally had a chance to do some snow-and-ice-cycling again this year, but unfortunately without Slaty-backed Gull as the target.
If I had studded tires on my bike, I would dare to cycle more in winter. Other reason for walking on winters is that you can't go anywhere by bike, only where there are plowed roads.
When I was a kid, I cycled whole year without fear of crashing down. :D

I got two new Green ticks today: Greylag (which must be already on the list) and Pygmy Owl (which might be not on the list?).

We did have swallow on the global list, but from the UK not continental Europe. Ruff and European Bee-eater take the global number to 379.

Three additions since last post has taken me to 76 with Siskin, Golden Plover & Green Woodpecker (of 95 on the patch yearlist).

All the best

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back