• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2021 - Joint thread (2 Viewers)

Last edited:
Franklin's Gull ! (This bird had been first seen three days ago in the evening, and was re-found yesterday afternoon; it's the 5th Belgian record.) With a poor pic: https://old.observations.be/waarneming/view/210212818?lang=en . (For better pics of the same bird, you can try https://old.observations.be/soort/photos/929?lang=en .)
On the same pool also Garganey, Little Ringed Plover and Ruff.
I saw that posted somewhere else and I thought of you Laurent. Glad you got it

Some good ones being seen! I can add one more for Europe, a Merlin here yesterday evening (species already on the World List from USA, so a different subspecies?), Europe now on 178, (I have a paltry 69 personally :rolleyes:)

404 globally, with 137 for the UK and 178 for the rest of Europe. North America 132, having stalled since the first week or so of this. My personal total is still dismal; I'm going to insist this is due to being inland and not in walking distance of many decent sites. As opposed to, say, lack of effort.
Yesterday saw a reduction in flower buds on my apple tree, which was welcome:
40 Goldfinch

Spreadsheet link for any new contributors: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...k6l70UVaE6-7hJoa_FGKGkrqY/edit#gid=1864592096

Some good ones being seen! I can add one more for Europe, a Merlin here yesterday evening (species already on the World List from USA, so a different subspecies?), Europe now on 178, (I have a paltry 69 personally :rolleyes:)
Sorry, I already saw a Merlin on the third of April, but misspelt it in the joint list...
Some bad weeks for green listing ahead for me as I am "on call" and even cycling to my local patch is frowned upon. The weather was not very conducive either, but Laurent shows that that is no excuse!

404 globally, with 137 for the UK and 178 for the rest of Europe. North America 132, having stalled since the first week or so of this. My personal total is still dismal; I'm going to insist this is due to being inland and not in walking distance of many decent sites. As opposed to, say, lack of effort.
40 Goldfinch

Spreadsheet link for any new contributors: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...k6l70UVaE6-7hJoa_FGKGkrqY/edit#gid=1864592096
😂
Of course, compared to Laurent (basically twitching a whole country by bike) I think we all come off badly.

40 Goldfinch

I would have thought North America would be miles ahead of us in Europe by now after the really promising early start - what's happened?

Thanks everyone (re the Mandarin). I decided to go the other direction instead this morning (north of the River Tees instead of south) and got a female Garganey that's been hanging round for a week or so and two Grey Partridges, bringing me to 121 for the green/NMT list. Good day for ducks as I saw 14 species - no Mandarin but nice views of the GW Teal and American Wigeon that have been here on and off for ages

I saw that posted somewhere else and I thought of you Laurent. Glad you got it
Thanks Colin. The bird is only ~20km from where I was, but I had managed not to get the info on the previous day before it was too late -- I didn't sleep very well that night ;). It is still there today.

I cycled back to Brussels yesterday, passing through a site where a Pallid Harrier had been seen recently, and was lucky enough to see it :). (This bird is a displaying male; the records are now obscured in the Belgian database.) Also passed through a marsh which had Black-winged Stilt and Savi's Warbler. Then rain started...
Other new, commoner birds in the last days have included Sedge Warbler (plenty of them), Reed Warbler (just one), the three common hirundines, Marsh Harrier, Spoonbill; also two migrant Ring Ouzels in the dunes the day before yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_1775-90-93-95-Circus_macrourus.JPG
    IMG_1775-90-93-95-Circus_macrourus.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 13
My first singing summer migrant this morning, but it was a blackcap so not a year-tick. Rectified that in the afternoon with a singing chiffchaff, then a gang of willow warblers which were feeding intently and had no time for singing. Presumably they still have a way to go on their journey.
41 Green Woodpecker
42 Chiffchaff
43 Willow Warbler

Linnet and Firecrest added for me recently. The wintry weather isn't helping, more snow on the ground this morning and it's snowing again now! Still, it sent a load more Ring Ousels down from the mountains to feed in the field just up from the house, at least eight seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back