• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2021 - Joint thread (3 Viewers)

A good morning today, adding 5 to my 2021 green list, of which 2 new for the UK and 1 for the global list (413, as Whitethroat and Tree Pipit were also global additions).
44 Great Spotted Woodpecker
45 Common Sandpiper
46 Reed Warbler
47 Mandarin Duck
48 Jay

Both Whitethroat and Tree Pipit made it onto the continental green list earlier!
No luck finding Ring Ouzel today, but at least I heard my first Nightingale. Edit: added Black Kite this evening, which had been teasing me all week.

Last edited:
A bit more progress on birds seen on foot from home since the beginning of April:-
82 - Pheasant- 4th April
83 - Greylag Goose - 5th April
84 - Treecreeper - 12th April
85 - (Greater) Whitethroat - 13th April
86 - Bar-tailed Godwit - 15th April
87 - Whimbrel - 17th April
88 - Reed Warbler - 20th April
89 - Common Sandpiper - 21st April
90 - Pied Flycatcher - 21st April

Edit - order corrected on checking notebook and if my reading of the spreadsheet is correct then (Greater) Whitethroat, Whimbrel & Pied Flycatcher may be additions to the UK list?

A bit more time each morning over the next four days so hoping to chip that total up....

So 90 of 107 species on the patch yearlist either seen at home or on foot from home.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
Three for the UK list and two for the world take us to 416 globally. And both the UK and the world lists now have Pied Flycatcher but not Spotted.

Added (Western) Barn Owl to my green walking from home list this morning (NW Durham, UK) - hunting over a raised bog at 08:00, must have some hungry chicks! Couldn't find it on the spreadsheet with the 'find' function?

Three additions for me today which appear to be UK additions as well with some time available and good tides shortly to add some more over the next few days:-

91 - Whinchat - 22nd April
92 - Redstart - 22nd April
93 - Lesser Whitethroat - 22nd April

Patch list has now climbed to 109 species for the year.

All the best

Paul

Migration is finally in swing, and I have been biking around a good bit the past few days. I think I have one green tick for the combined list this morning - Grasshopper Warbler. I didn't do an exhaustive scan but the other migrants I saw (Savi's, Sedge, etc) were already on the list.

Cheers

Nothing yesterday but three additions on this morning's walk:-
94 - Mandarin
95 - Garden Warbler
96 - Nuthatch

And then one from the garden:-
97 - Kestrel

Garden Warbler appears to be a UK addition.

All the best

Paul

Hi all,
I've added 6 species to my list over the last couple of weeks - Garganey, Grey Partridge, Willow Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Barn Owl and Ruff. As far as I can tell Garganey, Grey Partridge, Gropper and Ruff are all new for the group UK list (I mentioned the first two on here in a previous post but forgot to add them to the list), bringing it to 150, and my own NMT list to 125.
I wrote this blog about my birding exploits over the last few weeks, if anyone's interested ( My latest blog - Birds with funny names and some new birds for Middle Marsh, North Ormesby -
http://northormesbynaturalist.blogspot.com/2021/04/garganey-gropper-and-other-migrants-nmt.html )

Three additions from this morning's walk that take me to 100:-

98 - Greenshank - 25th April
99 - Spotted Flycatcher - 25th April
100 - Common Swift - 25th April

All three appear to be additions for the UK list with Greenshank and Spotted Flycatcher being additions to the world list as well.

Hoping to get some seabirds at some point but a couple of cold fruitless attempts in the last two days....

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Spotted Flycatcher 002.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 002.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Greenshank 002.jpg
    Greenshank 002.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2
Had six more species for my list today: Reed and Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Sandwich Tern, Kittiwake and (Barn) Swallow - As far as I can tell Sedge, Sandwich Tern and Kittiwake are new for the UK list which is now on 157

I have been freed of the duties that forced me into a car for two of the last three weeks and will now have to hope some good species for the yearlist will turn green.
I fear the worst for species likes Sedge Warbler which are really tricky for me!

I really wouldn't take KenM's word for it. Looks like a perfect Spotted Flycatcher to me.
I had never heard of Mediterranean Flycatcher until I saw this. Apparently the form has been recognised (or two similar forms) since 1910 but not as a full species until recently. I'm finding it hard to keep up with the taxonomic changes in recent years. It looks like the discussion got quite lively on the other thread - (they look almost indistinguishable to me)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back