• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2021 - Joint thread (1 Viewer)

After a couple of attempts I finally managed to hear (but not see) Common Treecreeper to get it onto the green list.
It is very local around here (I have found just three sites within a 10 mile radius): Short-toed Treecreeper dominates.

After a couple of attempts I finally managed to hear (but not see) Common Treecreeper to get it onto the green list.
It is very local around here (I have found just three sites within a 10 mile radius): Short-toed Treecreeper dominates.
At what altitude do you find the Common Treecreeper Xeno ?

Another really hard day yesterday - about fifty miles cycled (well, including pushing the bike up many hills). 2 new birds for my list - Cuckoo and Pied Flycatcher (neither of which were new for the group's UK or Global lists). I'm up to 143 now. It's getting really hard to add new species

Another really hard day yesterday - about fifty miles cycled (well, including pushing the bike up many hills). 2 new birds for my list - Cuckoo and Pied Flycatcher (neither of which were new for the group's UK or Global lists). I'm up to 143 now. It's getting really hard to add new species
I still have a few nightbirds that I should be able to add.
I have no excuse now the curfew is lifted (do unsuitable weather, laziness and incompetence count?)

Edit: Montague's Harrier today!

Last edited:
Five more for me recently, all without walking more than 25metres (well, I've been doing a lot of tiring gardening....). Red-backed Shrike, Whinchat, Northern Wheatear, Short-toed Snake Eagle and Honey Buzzard. None are new for the World list but Whinchat seems to be new for Europe, taking us to 215 species.

I've had four new species for my Green list in the last two days - including 2 that were new for both the UK and Global lists - Northern Fulmar (which I was surprised about) and Lesser Grey Shrike (which I wasn't). The Shrike was my rarest bird yet for my list, and my first British tick. It also took my longest ride yet - 62 miles there and back (Whitby from Middlesbrough). I'm dead chuffed

I've had four new species for my Green list in the last two days - including 2 that were new for both the UK and Global lists - Northern Fulmar (which I was surprised about) and Lesser Grey Shrike (which I wasn't). The Shrike was my rarest bird yet for my list, and my first British tick. It also took my longest ride yet - 62 miles there and back (Whitby from Middlesbrough). I'm dead chuffed
I’d be dead beat rather than dead chuffed after such an epic effort!

These are all from at or close by our house at Danggaja NR at Topaz near Malanda, Queensland since Jan 1 this year; we have feeders on the deck railing and are delighted to have Satin Bowerbirds with a new bower right beside the house, a very odd time of year as we come into winter and it's been very wet. Birds with a star are daily at the moment and those without months listed are every month this year as far as May
Australian Brushturkey *
Helmeted Guineafowl (feral flock)
Orange-footed Scrubfowl (heard Feb and April)
Pacific Baza (Jan and March)
Grey Goshawk (Jan-Feb)
Whistling Kite (May)
Brown Cucjkoo-Dove
Pacific Emerald Dove *
Bar-shouldered Dove
Peaceful Dove (Jan and March)
Wompoo Fruit Dove (Jan and Feb)
Superb Fruit Dove (Feb)
Topknot Pigeon (Jan)
Southern Boobook
Lesser Sooty Owl
Australian Swiftlet
White-throated Needletail (Jan)
Pacific Swift (Jan and Feb)
Masked Lapwing
Bush-hen (heard Jan-March)
Eastern Cattle Egret (May)
Shining Bronze Cuckoo *(March onwards)
Little Bronze Cuckoo
Fan-tailed Cuckoo (Feb onwards)
Oriental Cuckoo (Jan)
Rainbow Bee-eater (Mar-April)
Laughing Kookaburra
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo *
Crimson Rosella (Feb onwards)
Rainbow Lorikeet *
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
Australian King Parrot
Double-eyed Fig-Parrot
White-throated Tree Creeper *
Fernwren (heard)
Brown Gerygone *
Large-billed Scrubwren
White-browed Scrubwren
Chowchilla (heard) *
Eastern Whipbird *
Scarlet Honeyeater (Jan-Mar)
Dusky Honeyeater
Lewin's Honeyeater *
Cryptic Honeyeater
Bridled Honeyeater (Mar and May)
Eastern Spinebill (Mar onwards)
Macleay's Honeyeater *
Hornbill Friarbird *
Red-backed Fairywren (Jan and Feb)
Pale Yellow Robin
Grey-headed Robin *
Yellow-breasted Boatbill
White-eared Monarch *
Black-faced Monarch (Jan- April)
Spectacled Monarch (Jan, Feb, April)
Bassian Thrush (heard)
Silvereye
Varied Triller
Barred Cuckooshrike (Feb and March)
Black-faced Cuckooshrike (March)
Rufous Shrike-thrush *
Bower's Shrike-thrush
Australian Golden Whistler
Welcome Swallow
Australian Figbird (Jan-March)
Spotted Catbird *
Satin Bowerbird * (May on)
Tooth-billed Bowerbird (Jan-Apr)
Victoria's Riflebird *
Spangled Drongo (Jan-Apr)
Olive-backed Sunbird (Jan-Apr)
Pied Currawong *
Torresian Crow

A few surprises have been the lack of Pied Monarch, no fantails this year yet, and Cicadabird, Magpie-lark and Forest Kingfisher are absent this year although regular in 2020

These are all from at or close by our house at Danggaja NR at Topaz near Malanda, Queensland since Jan 1 this year; we have feeders on the deck railing and are delighted to have Satin Bowerbirds with a new bower right beside the house, a very odd time of year as we come into winter and it's been very wet. Birds with a star are daily at the moment and those without months listed are every month this year as far as May
Australian Brushturkey *
Helmeted Guineafowl (feral flock)
Orange-footed Scrubfowl (heard Feb and April)
Pacific Baza (Jan and March)
Grey Goshawk (Jan-Feb)
Whistling Kite (May)
Brown Cucjkoo-Dove
Pacific Emerald Dove *
Bar-shouldered Dove
Peaceful Dove (Jan and March)
Wompoo Fruit Dove (Jan and Feb)
Superb Fruit Dove (Feb)
Topknot Pigeon (Jan)
Southern Boobook
Lesser Sooty Owl
Australian Swiftlet
White-throated Needletail (Jan)
Pacific Swift (Jan and Feb)
Masked Lapwing
Bush-hen (heard Jan-March)
Eastern Cattle Egret (May)
Shining Bronze Cuckoo *(March onwards)
Little Bronze Cuckoo
Fan-tailed Cuckoo (Feb onwards)
Oriental Cuckoo (Jan)
Rainbow Bee-eater (Mar-April)
Laughing Kookaburra
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo *
Crimson Rosella (Feb onwards)
Rainbow Lorikeet *
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
Australian King Parrot
Double-eyed Fig-Parrot
White-throated Tree Creeper *
Fernwren (heard)
Brown Gerygone *
Large-billed Scrubwren
White-browed Scrubwren
Chowchilla (heard) *
Eastern Whipbird *
Scarlet Honeyeater (Jan-Mar)
Dusky Honeyeater
Lewin's Honeyeater *
Cryptic Honeyeater
Bridled Honeyeater (Mar and May)
Eastern Spinebill (Mar onwards)
Macleay's Honeyeater *
Hornbill Friarbird *
Red-backed Fairywren (Jan and Feb)
Pale Yellow Robin
Grey-headed Robin *
Yellow-breasted Boatbill
White-eared Monarch *
Black-faced Monarch (Jan- April)
Spectacled Monarch (Jan, Feb, April)
Bassian Thrush (heard)
Silvereye
Varied Triller
Barred Cuckooshrike (Feb and March)
Black-faced Cuckooshrike (March)
Rufous Shrike-thrush *
Bower's Shrike-thrush
Australian Golden Whistler
Welcome Swallow
Australian Figbird (Jan-March)
Spotted Catbird *
Satin Bowerbird * (May on)
Tooth-billed Bowerbird (Jan-Apr)
Victoria's Riflebird *
Spangled Drongo (Jan-Apr)
Olive-backed Sunbird (Jan-Apr)
Pied Currawong *
Torresian Crow

A few surprises have been the lack of Pied Monarch, no fantails this year yet, and Cicadabird, Magpie-lark and Forest Kingfisher are absent this year although regular in 2020
This is great. It makes me really want to go to Australia - so many birds I've never seen or even (in many cases) heard of.

After two weeks without a functioning bicycle I am mobile again, but my addition comes from the home office: a Serin was calling from a nearby spruce.
I see about one a year locally and most of these in flight only.

I finally managed to find a Little Owl, although they occur really close to my home. The curfew was a bit of a spanner in the works!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back