• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2021 - Joint thread (1 Viewer)

My world got rather chaotic and I ended up neglecting my 'on foot' list but will have a proper look before the year end.

However, back on foot a bit more recently and the last week has yielded three species that were 'on foot' year ticks for me being Brent Goose, Black Redstart and Shag. The Black Redstart appears to be a UK addition?

All the best

Paul
Well done on these, especially the Black Redstart. There's been a dearth of them around my area this year - I keep hoping I'm going to find one on one of the buildings I go past in the docks along the Tees

I saw Great Grey Shrike today, which turned out to be an addition to the world list!
A short search last week (after I had heard about it) had been fruitless, but the bird resides in a huge sand/gravel quarry with only one viewpoint.
I had hoped one would show up on my local patch, but it is another blank year.

My first new bird for the list for several weeks today - Laurent got it in Belgium on the 4th of January and they are not usually hard to see in my area but I've been trying all year without success to see a Short-eared Owl, until today when, like London buses, I saw not one but two Short-eared Owls in the sky at the same time with a Marsh Harrier - all in one binoculars view. The UK list is now on 184 (my list is on 172)

Well done for keeping this going peeps. My year has been a bit topsy turvy and I've been worse than usual at both record keeping and getting out there.

I'll have a look to see if there's anything I can add to the UK list (spreadsheet link in post #11, page 1 of this thread) but I doubt it. Did have a Black Redstart on a neighbours roof earlier in the year, but not much else out of the ordinary I think. Presume a similar spreadsheet would be good for next year? ... I will be hopefully doing an on foot New Year's day big day, perhaps weather dependant. I also think I may have taken up running, so that may get me out there and further afield, we'll see.

Season's Greetings! (Happy Holidays/Happy Christmas ;-) )

I'll have a look to see if there's anything I can add to the UK list (spreadsheet link in post #11, page 1 of this thread) but I doubt it.
Well, I did have a garden tick Brambling a few weeks ago. Don't see Tawny Owl on the list, and thought PC had Black Redstart already earlier in the year?

184 species on my patch list all seen on foot from home this year, 185 if Yelkouan Shearwater is accepted. Looking through the list the following seem to be missing from the UK list.
Scaup
Long-tailed Duck
Red-necked Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Grey Phalarope
Sabine's Gull
Glaucous Gull
Iceland Gull
Caspian Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Roseate Tern
Common Tern
Great Skua
Long-tailed Skua
Little Auk
Brunnich's Guillemot
Black Guillemot
White-billed Diver
Storm Petrel
Fea's (type) Petrel
Cory's Shearwater
Sooty Shearwater
Great Shearwater
Balearic Shearwater
Long-eared Owl
Merlin
Hooded Crow
Yellow-browed Warbler
Greenish Warbler
Blyth's Reed Warbler
Black Redstart
Pied Wheatear
Lapland Bunting

184 species on my patch list all seen on foot from home this year, 185 if Yelkouan Shearwater is accepted. Looking through the list the following seem to be missing from the UK list.
Not too shabby ... some good garden/green listing birds there! ;-)

Have updated the UK list, now 220 I believe. I haven't touched the world standings list.

Re Yelkouan, I might be out of date, but 'Menorcan' Balearic Shearwater would be the pitfall species even if all else excluded? (Size the main criteria?) Good luck with.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed doing this, even if my green year-list ended up being pretty short. It prompted me to go for a few walks that I might otherwise not have bothered with, which was helpful during lockdown in the spring. And once I stopped seeing anything new at my limited range of accessible sites, it was fun seeing what other people contributed. Definitely up for doing this again.

Edit to add: Also, the period when I was doing a lot of the updating of the spreadsheet has done wonders for my knowledge of IOC bird names, which I've always ducked learning despite doing the annual 1 Jan joint list thing for several years now.

Some cracking species seen by many of you, putting me to shame! My New Year's resolution will be to walk directly from home more often (a bike would be torture around here!) as I have only the one species on my Green List this year that I didn't see from the house/garden, Wryneck down in the village in Spring. With a bit more effort I might actually manage three figures in 2022. Thanks to all for keeping the spreadsheet going and Good Green Birding next year!

Scaup
Long-tailed Duck
Red-necked Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Grey Phalarope
Sabine's Gull
Glaucous Gull
Iceland Gull
Caspian Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Roseate Tern
Common Tern
Great Skua
Long-tailed Skua
Little Auk
Brunnich's Guillemot
Black Guillemot
White-billed Diver
Storm Petrel
Fea's (type) Petrel
Cory's Shearwater
Sooty Shearwater
Great Shearwater
Balearic Shearwater
Long-eared Owl
Merlin
Hooded Crow
Yellow-browed Warbler
Greenish Warbler
Blyth's Reed Warbler
Black Redstart
Pied Wheatear
Lapland Bunting
Wow - that's an amazing list. Where in the UK are you?

Somehow overlooked this thread for most of the year - virtually all my birding is done on foot from home though so I probably could have contributed a little at the start of the year. I noticed that most of the species I see were sooner or later seen elsewhere so didn’t think I could add to the list, however I did hear Goshawk on New Year’s Day (and seen and heard many times since - even over the garden). I remember Richard saw one on Jan 5th but can’t find it on the U.K. part of the list?

One the theme of going for an extra walk because of this, I decided to have one last go at finding a nuthatch, and got a bonus sparrowhawk on the way to Coate Water.
30 December
55 Sparrowhawk
56 Nuthatch

Trying to add Goshawk to U.K. list but struggling to do it from my tablet, but did notice Tawny Owl appears twice - No 1 & No 188

Trying to add Goshawk to U.K. list but struggling to do it from my tablet, but did notice Tawny Owl appears twice - No 1 & No 188
Duplicate fixed.

I guess there's also a question as to whether we can count Fea's-type Petrel, and if so whether it's allowed on the world list. And can we retrospectively add Yelkouan Shearwater if it gets accepted after we've finished the list and moved on to next year. Given that my personal life list includes one species of shearwater and no petrels at all, I'm not the right person to comment...

Duplicate fixed.

I guess there's also a question as to whether we can count Fea's-type Petrel, and if so whether it's allowed on the world list. And can we retrospectively add Yelkouan Shearwater if it gets accepted after we've finished the list and moved on to next year. Given that my personal life list includes one species of shearwater and no petrels at all, I'm not the right person to comment...
Ha, I did think it odd that Tawny hadn't been recorded lol.

Since this is entirely non-scientific and we are not beholden to any listing authorities, my thinking would be that if an observer believes they have recorded a species then so be it (both on trust issues and recording). So Fea's type as a species pair or group is fine, and the same kind of goes for birds seen but not yet accepted by the authorities - so both can go on imo.

Any decision is entirely reversible, and it is for fun, albeit sensible.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back