• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2022 - Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

I saw a robin at my bird bath today, the first of the year. They are surprisingly rare around here.
I see that it is already on the Europe list, which hardly surprising!!

Walked in the opposite direction to our normal outings and sure enough just 700 m from our house several small flocks of starlings also a cock pheasant.

Braved the cold and cycled up and out of the valley. A big flock of Fieldfares and a couple of Magpies. Several Dippers singing :)

A nice-looking day, albeit with more (head)wind than I had hoped for. Still managed a 92 km trip which included successful twitches of Red-throated, Great Northern (Common) and Arctic (Black-throated) Diver (Loon) and Slavonian (Horned) Grebe.
I finally added Dunnock (singing as predicted!), and a small detour provided Middle Spotted Woodpecker (also in "song") and some Common Crossbills.
Not a year tick, but 80 Smew was a pretty whopping score!

Today on the daily walk I was lucky enough to see three great bustards in flight that landed behind a gentle knoll in a nearby field. I continued on my way and a group of at least two wood larks took flight. An afternoon to enjoy, without a doubt.

I have been concentrating on my patch (102) and Greater Somerset (138) yearlists which means I have been on the back foot with walking from home but a significant effort today did bring the On Foot Yearlist up to 72 - with highlights being Mediterranean Gull, Cetti's Warbler, Common Sandpiper, Black Redstart & Merlin:-

1​
Robin
2​
Rock Dove
3​
Starling
4​
Woodpigeon
5​
Lesser Black-backed Gull
6​
Blue Tit
7​
Black-headed Gull
8​
Carrion Crow
9​
Mallard
10​
Dunnock
11​
Moorhen
12​
Jackdaw
13​
Herring Gull
14​
Magpie
15​
Great Tit
16​
House Sparrow
17​
Blackbird
18​
Pied Wagtail
19​
Long-tailed Tit
20​
Wren
21​
Raven
22​
Grey Heron
23​
Mediterranean Gull
24​
Common Gull
25​
Redshank
26​
Dunlin
27​
Curlew
28​
Grey Wagtail
29​
Turnstone
30​
Stonechat
31​
Meadow Pipit
32​
Collared Dove
33​
Goldfinch
34​
Cormorant
35​
Peregrine
36​
Chaffinch
37​
Redwing
38​
Greenfinch
39​
Little Egret
40​
Goosander
41​
Mute Swan
42​
Little Grebe
43​
Song Thrush
44​
Jay
45​
Buzzard
46​
Oystercatcher
47​
Shelduck
48​
Great Black-backed Gull
49​
Wigeon
50​
Goldcrest
51​
Sparrowhawk
52​
Shoveler
53​
Lapwing
54​
Linnet
55​
Snipe
56​
Gadwall
57​
Teal
58​
Skylark
59​
Rock Pipit
60​
Great Spotted Woodpecker
61​
Coal Tit
62​
Fieldfare
63​
Cetti's Warbler
64​
Common Sandpiper
65​
Rook
66​
Stock Dove
67​
Canada Goose
68​
Mistle Thrush
69​
Kestrel
70​
Nuthatch
71​
Black Redstart
72​
Merlin

All the best

Paul

Another one I'd been missing due to lack of feeders in the garden. How on earth did I get through January without seeing one on a non-driving day?
3 Feb
23 Blackbird

The coots that used to breed in our local park went missing last year and there have been none present since. Tufties normally only show up after bad weather. So a pretty decent lunchtime walk, even if the species concerned will be easy to find at Coate Water at some point.
10 Feb
24 Coot
25 Tufted Duck

The first vismig day of the year at my local patch. Residents added to my green list were Common Pheasant (I strongly believe that they are released illegally each year) and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (heard); in the late afternoon, I added some actual migrants with Common Crane (× 900) and Red Kite.

Considerable excitement on my part on Monday - there are places I can find them within walking distance, but this was a patch tick for the estate I live on. Never seen one in the local park, either. Three of them feeding on a road verge after rain.
14 Feb
26 Rook

Just found this, hopefully no-one minds me joining in
I can't add to the list yet but might be able to later (shared spreadsheets don't work on this laptop)
I can't remember any that aren't already on the world list

1. Siskin
2. Mallard
3. Eurasian Jackdaw
4. Robin
5. Eurasian Wren
6. Common Kingfisher
7. Little Egret
8. Magpie
9. Dunnock
10. Song Thrush
11. Bullfinch
12. Chaffinch
13. Coal Tit
14. Blue Tit
15. Great Tit
16. Coot
17. Moorhen
18. Goldfinch
19. Sparrowhawk
20. Raven
21. Crow
22. House Sparrow
23. Black-Headed Gull
24. Common Buzzard
25. Common Starling
26. ChiffChaff
27. Woodpigeon
28. Feral Pigeon
29. Grey Heron
30. Common Gull
31. Cormorant
32. Red Kite
33. Eurasian Jay
34. Goldcrest

That's all I can think of at the moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back