• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2022 - Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Since the end of January, my 'on foot' yearlist from home has ticked up from 72 to 102:-

73​
Reed Bunting
74​
Chiffchaff
75​
Little Ringed Plover
76​
Black-tailed Godwit
77​
Kingfisher
78​
Wheatear
79​
Ruff
80​
Ringed Plover
81​
Avocet
82​
Pintail
83​
Swallow
84​
Red Kite
85​
Sand Martin
86​
Blackcap
87​
Willow Warbler
88​
Redstart
89​
House Martin
90​
Great White Egret
91​
Siskin
92​
Yellow Wagtail
93​
Lesser Redpoll
94​
Woodlark
95​
Whimbrel
96​
Tree Pipit
97​
Bullfinch
98​
Marsh Harrier
99​
Greylag Goose
100​
Whitethroat
101​
Reed Warbler
102​
Pheasant

A few goodies in there but the highlight was a visible migration Woodlark during a session with a friend earlier this week.

Patch yearlist is currently on 132 & a decent longer walk may close that gap a bit more...

All the best

Paul
Impressive stuff, I clearly need to walk further to compete (though it's a long long way to get me into different habitat)
Recent additions :
60 Short-toed Eagle
61 Serin
62 Dunnock
63 Rock Bunting
64 Linnet
65 Collared Dove
66 House Martin
67 Tree Pipit
All found with little physical effort on my part (ie, seen from the house or field behind it), but added one more this morning on my walk to the boulangerie and back :
68 Wryneck

I do have some coast Richard which helps! Sightings in the screenshot below. I tend to drive to my best seawatching spot & waders are better a drive a mile or so to the south. That explains the main differences to the patch yearlist.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-100512_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-100512_Maps.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 9
I do have some coast Richard which helps! Sightings in the screenshot below. I tend to drive to my best seawatching spot & waders are better a drive a mile or so to the south. That explains the main differences to the patch yearlist.

All the best

Paul
Very nice, in fact we had a good view of your patch as we flew out of Bristol last month, I couldn’t quite spot you on the sea wall though!

An unexpected year tick today with European Serin. An average of one a year on my local patch, but always in autumn.

As I am too lazy to scroll back to page one and more year ticks should be coming this week, a link to the spreadsheet for my own convenience:

Six new species for the yearlist this week, with Ring Ouzel probably the best for my local patch.
The only two I found elsewhere were Nightingale and Wood Warbler at prime locations to find the first ones locally.
Very strong wind made a longer bike ride unattractive today, so I tried to stay in the forests.

After a Hobby over the local patch, a bike ride to the Rhine delivered Black Tern (the only one reported in the state today!) and four Little Gulls.
Little Gull is difficult to get onto the yearlist, even with a car!

My first (and really, really late) Swift today.
Hah, a Swift in April would be early for me Xeno! Just a couple more for me recently, Pied Flycatcher and Common Redstart. Had high hopes of adding something on my dawdle to the village and back for bread early this morning but no joy- bizarrely I still haven’t come across Goldcrest in my perambulations this year!

Hah, a Swift in April would be early for me Xeno! Just a couple more for me recently, Pied Flycatcher and Common Redstart. Had high hopes of adding something on my dawdle to the village and back for bread early this morning but no joy- bizarrely I still haven’t come across Goldcrest in my perambulations this year!
I've seen more Firecrests than Goldcrests this year.

Slow week locally with only a Grey-headed Wagtail to show for it. Multiple failures to find Reed Warbler (but I didn't even hear a single one when I drove to an area where I would have expected dozens).
After Saturday I should be on a business trip for a few days, so next weekend should be good for a list update.

Twitched an American Golden Plover (only my second in Belgium, and a wholly new 'green' species for me) on last Monday.

I was on the coast for a while in the previous weeks too -- grabbed a few things like Black-winged Stilt, Little Bunting, Great Reed Warbler, Savi's Warbler... And had a self-found Hooded Crow (now a rarities-committee species in Belgium). I was hoping for Caspian Tern, which is probably the most common species I have never seen with the bike -- but no joy.
Reed Warblers were singing here and there near the coast. (Among the much more numerous Sedge Warblers -- but SW may not be a common bird at all where you are ?)

Not really in a "year-list" mood, hence my list has a lot of gaps. (I haven't been anywhere in the southern half of the country, so far.)

PS -
A Sand Martin was an expected addition to the yearlist
You didn't add it to your list in the spreadsheet.

Reed Warblers were singing here and there near the coast. (Among the much more numerous Sedge Warblers -- but SW may not be a common bird at all where you are ?)
Sedge Warbler is a rare migrant in the region that is now even harder because most of the reed on my local patch has been "managed away"...
I'd love to find a Hooded Crow, completely failing on my local list – it should really be a description species in NRW by now.

I've added the Sand Martin – there may well be other gaps.

I had forgotten that I had heard a Tawny Owl tonight... which required a minimum of effort (lying awake in bed).
This evening I added Icterine Warbler during a short bike ride.

I can add Bonelli's Warbler this morning for Europe and the World combined list (which shows a lower total than Europe on its own ???
And where are all the UK Green birders who got us rolling this year?;)

World combined list (which shows a lower total than Europe on its own ???

I just added to the combined World list the species I saw in recent weeks, but where lacking in it. This took the combined list up to 231.
(It's still too low, though: the European list stands at 216, and there are obviously more than 15 strictly American species spp listed in the N America tab.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back