• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2023 - Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

I had a Western Marsh Harrier over my local patch on Thursday. Rain spoilt Friday afternoon and all of Saturday (I walked to the town centre and the local pond to no avail).
Today a stiff cold northeasterly breeze made life unpleasant –especially until the sun started to come out in the afternoon– but I did add Yellow and Pied Wagtail (rare subspecies here!) in the morning and (my earliest ever) Redstart and (earliest for my patch) Wheatear in the afternoon.

Five more for me so far this month, Linnet, Blackcap and Common Redstart already seen by others but two new ones for the Europe and World List, both seen yesterday, Bonelli's Warbler and Short-toed Snake Eagle. Europe now on a tantalising 199, what will be number 200?

My only other addition this weekend was Tree Pipit. I couldn't travel far (being on-call) and yesterday (possibly the best day to add something interesting...) was spent visiting family in the Netherlands and enjoying or avoiding traffic jams on the Autobahn.

Three new birds on my local patch on Saturday in ever less enjoyable weather: Common Whitethroat, Osprey and Merlin.
Today I first went for some (non-green) plant searching in the Eifel as I didn't expect much locally (and life is not complete without seeing Carex humilis).
I was somewhat mistaken – after I got home I had enough energy left for a 60 km bike trip to see the first Red-throated Diver reported in Northrhine-Westphalia this year. Just too bad it wasn't in summer plumage!

I chanced upon an article about Accipiter taxonomy some time ago and was hoping they would. I see they have American Herring Gull as well, although that's probably a much older addition.

A Cetti's Warbler that showed up quite a long way upstream along the river Lippe a few days back annoyed me a bit, as I live along that river...
Today, one was found along the Lippe again, but in Marl where I work. Not going for that bird would be excessively blasé (it had been easy to resist twitching ones further away, as it is now so common where I come from that I have even heard it from my childhood bedroom).
After work, I battled against the wind to hear it sing twice in 25 minutes – I even managed to see it. The 50 minute ride home with a strong wind in my back was also welcome.

April is bringing lots of new arrivals here, With an extra 29 species seen so far, which I won't list all of here, I've added them to the spreadsheet. I think the only one that had already been added to the world list was Ring-billed Gull. I hadn't realized they were so widespread.

A Vesper Sparrow has been the highlight for me so far, as it's new for my county list as well as my green patch. Not one that I expected to see locally as we don't have much open farmland, but that's the joy of spring migration.
Two warblers so far (I think I've had ~20 species over the last ten years so lots more to come), and the migrating woodpecker species are back too. Not had my first five woodpecker day yet, but seen them all separately so it's coming.
Purple finches are back at the feeders too, notably absent this winter, it was a very quiet one for the various finch species this year.

(Apologies for whatever I seem to be doing wrong in the spreadsheet. Formatting seems to go wild whenever I type into it! And as someone had started adding below the red ones, I left them as is this time.)

Attachments

• Purple Finch.jpg
    Purple Finch.jpg
    840.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Yellow rumped in garden.jpg
    Yellow rumped in garden.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 2
Long before I started birding, there was a vagrant Little Auk on a freshwater canal some 10 km from where I live, 240 km inland and 670 km from the verge of its range. (I don't think I could've resisted twitching that one, too.)

The Ring-bill in Europe was a twitch of a known individual.
11 Jan: some wandering N of Brussels with Kajzerka as primary target. Cycled this day: 105 km; this year: 480 km. Bird list now at 107 spp.

First kayak of the year today, which meant I caught up with a few ducks, some of which you have caught up with already!
As far as I can work out Bufflehead is the only new one for the group effort (Common Goldeneye and Common Merganser/Goosander having been seen elsewhere).
An American Herring Gull (I think someone mentioned earlier that that's recognized as a separate one now), and also the first Common loon of the year. They nest on the lake and are always a nice one to see returning. (Couldn't find Great Northern Diver on the group list already, so don't think it has been spotted over that side of the pond yet).

I've moved the red species back to the end of the list so they stand out more. Hopefully this will prompt anyone who can give us an upgrade - we've already upgraded Canada Goose from C to A and we might be able to upgrade Mandarin from C/E to C or cat C feral pigeon to cat A rock dove if a few more Brits join in. With firmly gritted teeth, I've also bowed to the collective decision to put cat E on the red bit of the list and added my Black Swan.

A curious day. With the wind turning south I had expected some new species, but not a Savi's Warbler on my local patch (the second ever).
Visible migration was lacklustre (as opposed to the Netherlands...), but when cycling past my usual haunts I found a Common Quail (which of course I did not see) – a good bird as well. More expected year ticks were Lesser Whitethroat and Whinchat.
No Wood Warblers yet; I assume Nightingale will be added tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back