• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Long Beach, California! (1 Viewer)

Volvonium

United States
Greetings, BF members!

One of the other hobbies that I am very involved in is astronomy, which led me towards doing more terrestrial observing and birding with my astronomy equipment. One day while under quarantine and doing some observing of the sun, I decided to setup one of my refractors on the side to observe some of the birds that make their way into my backyard-- I live near El Dorado Nature Center in Long Beach, which is a large 105 acre preserve that is host to many varieties of birds-- and I was hooked. It's become an enjoyable use of equipment, as is learning and observing some of the unique details.

The first scope I used for birding was my TeleVue Pronto, which I wound up selling to a birder in Belgium. (Hi Stuart, you here?) We had quite a number of discussions about optics which was intriguing and I wound up exploring using field scope instruments for astronomy as well as astronomical instruments for birding! All good fun.

I currently have a vintage Celestron 90mm Maksutov Cassegrain on a vintage tabletop tripod, a Pentax 65 ED A, and Pentax 85 ED A-2 for terrestrial/birding duty. I also occasionally use a vintage Pentax 75 EDHF II astronomical telescope for terrestrial and birding. A Leica Aspheric Zoom is probably my most widely used eyepiece, albeit I have been enjoying Nikon EDG eyepieces as well.

Cheers

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Volvonium and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hello and welcome fellow Southern Californian! I'm new to this as well but hooked! This is an amazing hobby and forum as well. Filled with open arms which extend to you as well. Enjoy and happy birding! :)

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to expanding my bird observing skills and enjoying all of the things there are to see. Us astronomical visual observers are sometimes chided for spending hours chasing after 'faint grey fuzzies' in the deep sky, so birding has been a great change of pace.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back