• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-crested Helmetshrike (1 Viewer)

Tully

I haven't been able to find a pic of this one on the Database. Probably spelling something wrong.
Here is one I took at Nakuru, Kenya in July that I wanted to compare with something. Maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong
Cheers

Attachments

• HelmutShrike3339.jpg
    HelmutShrike3339.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 137
I believe your photo would be a very good addition to our Bird Database.

I believe we have a couple of members who are the Database managers. I should know how all this works, but regretably I must admit I do not know the procedure for entering a photo into the Bird Database. I will check this out and see about getting your photo entered.

Okay, I've gone ahead and added it to the Database. It is a lovely representation Tully and we thank you very much. :t:

Hi Tully,
This is a bird that I have always wondered about for a couple of reasons. The relative ranges of poliolophus respect to race angolica (usually submerged in race poliocephalus) of Prionops plumatus? Does the presence on the territory of poliolophus exclude in those zones possible races of plumatus? Thirdly, how does one tell them apart on gross external morphology? I do not have any good answer to any of these questions.

cuckooroller said:
Hi Tully,
This is a bird that I have always wondered about for a couple of reasons. The relative ranges of poliolophus respect to race angolica (usually submerged in race poliocephalus) of Prionops plumatus? Does the presence on the territory of poliolophus exclude in those zones possible races of plumatus? Thirdly, how does one tell them apart on gross external morphology? I do not have any good answer to any of these questions.

Sorry Steve,
As a relative beginner, I can't shed much light on the subject . I was just chuffed, firstly to have found and photgraphed the bird myself and secondly to have identified it from Steveson and Fanshawe. We were the Naishi campsite for an hour for a picnic at Lake Nakuru and I managed to get this one, a Blackheaded Oriole and a Hoopoe.
Cheers

Last edited:
Tully,
Don't worry. I was more or less thinking out loud about something I have wondered about in the past. Since it really is not a fatuous question I think I will link to another Forum and see if anyone has any more knowledge about these questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back