• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-faced Buzzard? Central Japan (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
Regular fans of mine will know that I'm pretty hopeless with raptors / falcons. So if the following is an obvious silly mistake, apologies in advance.

I took a walk at my usual spot in Nara City, central Japan, today, as we actually had some sunshine. I took some photos of this bird, just because, thinking it was a Goshawk (the most common raptor here). But when I looked at the photos, it was obvious that it isn't a Goshawk. Although the tail looks OK, the barring is too dark, and the head too small and there's no eyebrow visible, and there seems to be a strong gular stripe. So, is it a Grey-faced Buzzard?

This bird, which I have only seen a few times over many years, seems to have a lot of variation in its appearance. Some books stress a strong supercilium, but lots of photos show no supercilium at all. They are around in small numbers over the summer a few tens of kilometres from here though not that easy to see, and I've never seen one in or near this spot (though they fly over on migration).

The weather here has been weird this year, with about 40% of the usual rain in the last two months, but yesterday the weather changed. And as well as this bird - whatever it is, it is the first raptor / falcon seen for three months, except for the Kestrels which breed on the motorway pillars - there was an Osprey (common at this pond in winter) visible from the same spot at the same time, so it seems the birds realise the weather is changing also.

The alternative bird with a gular stripe where I am would be Japanese Sparrowhawk (very occasional on migration), but I think JS is too small to be mistaken for a Goshawk, even by me. It's a spot I have been to thousands of times, and just from knowing the trees around, I think I can judge roughly the height and therefore the size of a bird. Anyway, photo 5 shows the full view from my 300mm lens.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'll be grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_8878.JPG
    IMG_8878.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8882.JPG
    IMG_8882.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8885.JPG
    IMG_8885.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8888.JPG
    IMG_8888.JPG
    528.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8896.JPG
    IMG_8896.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 26
I've no experience of juvenile Grey-faced, but adults and other Butastur I know have all longer wings than OP bird, and the photo you linked also show longer wings as well.

The shape of OP bird is more Accipiter-like.

Is there something I missed?

Also to me it looks more like a typical Sparrowhawk silhouette. I would vote for an immature Japanese Sparrowhawk. Though comparing pictures of both species in the web I was surprised how similar they are in plumage.

I've no experience of juvenile Grey-faced, but adults and other Butastur I know have all longer wings than OP bird, and the photo you linked also show longer wings as well.

The shape of OP bird is more Accipiter-like.

Is there something I missed?

No you didn't miss anything. Guilty of just looking on the mobile, looking at the plumage mainly on pic 4 and ignoring the structure by being too quick.
Apologies Mac, despite your feeling that it was big, that forearm just isn't long enough for a Butastur so an immature Japanese Sparrowhawk it is.
Yes, plumage wise they are very similar.

Thanks, everybody. It really looked too big for a Japanese Sparrowhawk - which is basically the size of a pigeon. And the gular stripe looked just too strong and the brown on the face too extensive (coming down too far on the face). But I hardly ever see either of these birds, so....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back